All Mountain/Enduro/Trail Riding Bike Sizing Question

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
All Mountain/Enduro/Trail Riding Bike Sizing Question
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 26, 2017 at 7:03 Quote
What would be the best All-Mountain/Enduro bike for the overall trail system of the Salt Lake City/Park City area? Hoping to do a lot of pedaling but still hit bike parks for dabbling in DH. 150mm travel enough? 27.5 most versatile choice? Trek Remedy 8 and Scott Genius 730? Or used salsa pony rustler? Trying to stay under $3500. Open to hearing all opinions, preferably one's from the SLC area who are familiar with the terrain.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/remedy/remedy-8/p/1186600-2017/

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/249560006/SCOTT-Genius-730-Bike

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/pony_rustler/2017_pony_rustler_carbon_xo1

Thanks!

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 8:51 Quote
Are those the only bikes you're interested in? I'm from SLC and ride both SLC and PC and I prefer a 150mm travel bike for general riding, but it depends on your riding style as well. I have a SC Bronson (150mm travel, 27.5) now, had a Spec Stumpjumper FSR prior (140mm travel, 26). I also have a 29+ hardtail where I ride in places like round valley, corner canyon, and shoreline's less aggressive trails.

I would say that yes, 150mm is enough travel to ride basically every trail in the area, 27.5 vs 29 is complete preference IMO, either will work great. The gnarliest trails in the area are the canyons and deer valley downhill as well as a few other lesser maintained trails around the valley and you'll be happy with 150mm. I would personally go with the Trek if those are the only bikes you're interested in.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 11:42 Quote
If something in that price range is head and shoulders above the Trek I will consider, but I like to support the guys at my local shop and they carry Treks and Scotts.

I have a carbon hard tail 29r to train and race xc on. I will honestly spend most of my time on the hard tail as I am a fitness junkie. But I'm looking for the perfect "fun" bike to do everything the hard tail can't. I still want to be able to pedal it for hours if needed though. I have done fairly serious downhill at Whistler Bike Park and Copper Harbor, MI so Deer Valley and the Canyons appeal to me. A full DH bike is too narrowly focused and will be overkill for the majority of trails you mentioned. I just see "enduro bikes" online mainly equipped with fox 36's and those are 160mm+ travel range so I was wondering. But 150mm could still get by on the non pro level DV/Canyons runs?

I was leaning toward the trek more as well. The head tube angle is less. But sadly I like the color of the scott and salsa more lol.

Thanks for responding and feel free to have any of your local buddies chime in as well.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 13:37 Quote
If there's a Giant dealer in your area, Trance or Reign worth considering, very good value in that price range.

Posted: Jan 28, 2017 at 6:15 Quote
There's a Facebook group, mountain bike enthusiasts of utah (mtbeu). Request to be added and you can probably get some good input there.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 31, 2017 at 11:10 Quote
Bushamster21 is right, that the MTBEU group will be able to provide good input as well. Gotchya, then ya I don't think you can go wrong with either the Trek or Scott, both are solid bikes that will be good for the area. Again, I think you'll be fine with 150mm, I've ridden most trails in the area on that or less and rarely feel that more would be better. Coming from a guy that likes to earn his down and rides lifts a couple of times a year.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2017 at 13:07 Quote
I'd recommend a good all mountain bike for maximum fun. I love the terrain because it provides a lot of great out and back rides that give a good workout and a great ride down.

Still, I chuckle inside when people post these questions because a great rider will kick my butt on the gnarliest downhill with a hardtail while I struggle to keep up on my 160mm Enduro.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 17:20 Quote
Ride the Wasatch Crest and Deer Valley Bike park. Enough said

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 22:02 Quote
My favorite bike around the SLC, PC area would be my 160mm Nomad with a lock-out rear shock. You could easily pick up a decent used one for under $3.5k if you go that route. Honestly though, I've seen all kinds of bikes out (even on Enduro race days). Any Enduro will be fun...Bronson's and Nomad's, Yeti SB5, SB6, Trek Slash, etc. You kind of adapt to the bike the more you ride. Good luck with bike shopping!

For reference, I currently have a '15 Giant Reign, '15 SC Nomad and '13 27.5 Intense Carbine. Carbine would be my "fastest" bike around, Reign is my "fastest" downhill due to suspension setup and Nomad is just best all around. I usually ride Wasatch Crest trail, Glenwild, Corner Canyon, all around PC, Trailside park, and season pass holder at Deer valley during the season

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 8:17 Quote
Thanks for all the input and help guys. I really appreciate it.

Any good places to check for used bikes? I'm only familiar with Craigslist and the selection was surprisingly poor. Must not be as popular out there.

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 8:21 Quote
Well I think these guys have already helped you but I live in Logan and ride those trails often, but like their saying 150-160 is mint.

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 8:22 Quote
MichiganBikeDude wrote:
Thanks for all the input and help guys. I really appreciate it.

Any good places to check for used bikes? I'm only familiar with Craigslist and the selection was surprisingly poor. Must not be as popular out there.
the Buy sell here and this only applies to Utah but ksl.com

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 6:56 Quote
Is a tubeless setup the preferred way to roll with the varying terrain out there? Even for semi gnarly dh runs.

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 10:45 Quote
And I'm just shy of 6'1". Would an 18.5" or 19.5" bike be best for the pedaling up and bombing down?

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 8:24 Quote
Again, totally depends on the bike, I don't think you can answer the question based on seat tube alone. I prefer to go off manufacturers designation of S/M/L etc because some bikes have very different seat tube lengths and will still be a "L" if that makes sense. At 6"1, I am the same height, you are right between a L and XL for most manufacturers and it will depend on the bike and your preferences. I ride a SC and have an XL that I think fits perfectly. I also have a Trek hardtail and Specialized road bike that are size L. The roadbike is great, but the hardtail I would probably prefer an XL.

Yes, most people ride tubeless here. We have somewhat rocky terrain (not the razor rocks you'll find elsewhere but still rocky) and tubeless setups these days are very reliable. It's also a preference thing, but I'm sure most people here will tell you tubeless is the way to go.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013140
Mobile Version of Website