Rockshox yari rc 160mm solo air not returning to full travel

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Rockshox yari rc 160mm solo air not returning to full travel
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 19, 2016 at 13:14 Quote
Basically I just got a 2016 yt Capra al 2 weeks ago. I set the sag on the yaris to 25%. Now after not touching the bike for 2 weeks when I stand up on the bike in an aggressive position the forks compress but don't return completely to full travel (about 5% missing). I haven't rode the bike yet because it's for Christmas. I've read online it's something to do with grease in the fork and some hard riding will get rid of it. I've also read about something to do with positive and negative chambers not equallized? Would pumping the fork up in intervals and cycling the fork 5 times at each interval equallize them? If anyones got any advice it'd be great because I'm new to high end suspension

Posted: Nov 19, 2016 at 22:32 Quote
Yes. This infamous problem. I went through this with my Pike so hopefully my experience can help you out.

When operating properly, the fork will have "free play" at the top of its travel. You should be able to move it through the first 3-5% of its travel in both directions without any spring force.

How to test if the negative spring port is clogged: let all the air out. If it sucks itself down, the port is clogged with grease and not letting the air out of the negative spring. If the fork stays up with no air (aside from weight or pushing down on it) then it's working properly.

There are two ways to go about unclogging it. Number one, take off the air cap so you can see down inside. Pull up super hard. You should hear a small slurp from inside whenever it hits the top of its travel if air is passing through the port properly.

In my case, the fork was pulling itself down even with the air cap off. I pulled up hard a few times and nothing happened for a bit, and then on one good hard yank it made a nice loud sucking noise and stayed at the top of its travel like it should. Haven't had a problem since.

The other method is to pump the fork up to just below its max rating, whatever that is... Then pound it super hard a few times. You could also try pumping it up in intervals like you suggested.

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 11:42 Quote
I have the same problem with my yari 120 travel fork it doesn't return to full travel its new I don't want to send it back to bike discount coz it'll take 2 month to send it back to me. Any advice how get rid of this 5% travel missing? Or this is normal.i had try to remove all the air and the fork goes down w/o any push or weight.what should i do with it?

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 14:05 Quote
Read my post ^^^^

FL
Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 23:11 Quote
First thing to try is to extend it to full travel by hand and hold it this way for a couple of seconds. My pike was stuck down a couple of times and always came back to life like that.
The proper way would be a complete rebuild of the air spring.

Posted: Jan 22, 2017 at 8:39 Quote
i follow your instruction nothing happen stay the same i think i need to service this

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 at 12:09 Quote
eicca wrote:
Yes. This infamous problem. I went through this with my Pike so hopefully my experience can help you out.

When operating properly, the fork will have "free play" at the top of its travel. You should be able to move it through the first 3-5% of its travel in both directions without any spring force.

How to test if the negative spring port is clogged: let all the air out. If it sucks itself down, the port is clogged with grease and not letting the air out of the negative spring. If the fork stays up with no air (aside from weight or pushing down on it) then it's working properly.

There are two ways to go about unclogging it. Number one, take off the air cap so you can see down inside. Pull up super hard. You should hear a small slurp from inside whenever it hits the top of its travel if air is passing through the port properly.

In my case, the fork was pulling itself down even with the air cap off. I pulled up hard a few times and nothing happened for a bit, and then on one good hard yank it made a nice loud sucking noise and stayed at the top of its travel like it should. Haven't had a problem since.

The other method is to pump the fork up to just below its max rating, whatever that is... Then pound it super hard a few times. You could also try pumping it up in intervals like you suggested.
I had my fork stuck around 15% try your method I think it's worked it's not return at around 5% but I think it's ok. Thank you for advice!

FL
Posted: Feb 11, 2018 at 12:09 Quote
eicca wrote:

Wow, didn’t even realize my fork was having this issue until I read this post. After using your method, fixed it right up... and it feels so much better!!!!

Wonder how many people are riding around on a shitty performing fork because of this??!

Will keep an eye on it from now on. Quick question, it’s only a couple a months old... if it keeps doing this I’m assuming that’s grounds for a warranty replacement? And if so, do brand new forks have the same issue??

Posted: Feb 11, 2018 at 18:13 Quote
I don’t know how effective a warranty replacement would be since every single RockShox fork as of late is affected by this issue. It’s just part of the design. Grease just sometimes clogs up that port.

However, I have long since sold my Pike and gotten a DVO Diamond. Never looking back.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 14:33 Quote
When you pull it up really hard like you are suggesting, is this with the fork pumped or with it deflated?

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 16:38 Quote
nett2aj wrote:
When you pull it up really hard like you are suggesting, is this with the fork pumped or with it deflated?

I did it with the air cap completely removed.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 18:51 Quote
You take the wheel off and pull on the tubes? This is my first air sprung fork and I’m nervous. I can’t get it to go past 10% sadly. May have to drop the cash and go to a lbs

FL
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 9:42 Quote
nett2aj wrote:
You take the wheel off and pull on the tubes? This is my first air sprung fork and I’m nervous. I can’t get it to go past 10% sadly. May have to drop the cash and go to a lbs

Just go hard on it... when I did it to my Yari (left the wheel on), I released all the pressure, removed the top cap, kept the wheel on and I just put my foot on the arch of the fork and just f*ckin yanked up on my handlebars hard a few times until one time it finally slurped and gave... kept doing it until the slurpy-ness was gone and it wasn't sinking back into it's travel.

You just gotta give'r man... these things are tough, you're not going to break them by pulling on them.

Posted: Jan 27, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
Just bought a new 2017 model yari with 160mm travel, installed it december and have ridden it maybe 4hours.

Today when i was about to go for a ride, it completely sucked itself in.

Tried yanking it as hard as i can, all sweaty already but its not giving in. Any other tips, or do i need to remove lower legs and the airshaft?

Posted: Jan 27, 2019 at 14:27 Quote
Bnito wrote:
Just bought a new 2017 model yari with 160mm travel, installed it december and have ridden it maybe 4hours.

Today when i was about to go for a ride, it completely sucked itself in.

Tried yanking it as hard as i can, all sweaty already but its not giving in. Any other tips, or do i need to remove lower legs and the airshaft?

A little but very critical to mention that where Bnito lives is about -15°C (5°F) at the moment.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011500
Mobile Version of Website