Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 13:33 Quote
[Quote]Yeah you can, I have had one on all my bikes.[/Quote]

Ah. Do you need to get a certain kind for downhill fork's ? The lower crown on the boxxer has a slight arch to it. Arn't the bottom piece on most stem lock's a flat surface ? I think most are designed for BMX ? flat headtube's ?

Unless it is flat and im just looking at it wrong lol Confused

Or could you recommend one please Eek

photo
---
Also in reply to re-tapping in the same star nut. The actual inner part you screw the bolt into is spinning freely so trying to tighten the bolt at the moment just causes the whole middle thing to rotate as well, i think it rusted.

And im gonna take your advice about getting new spacers. That might very well be a contributing factor. Currently the lack of pre-load is because of the inability to tighten the top cap. Gonna get some metal spacers (Think someone mentioned this before, should have changed them earlier Whip

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 22:59 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
[Quote]Yeah you can, I have had one on all my bikes.

Ah. Do you need to get a certain kind for downhill fork's ? The lower crown on the boxxer has a slight arch to it. Arn't the bottom piece on most stem lock's a flat surface ? I think most are designed for BMX ? flat headtube's ?

Unless it is flat and im just looking at it wrong lol Confused

Or could you recommend one please Eek

photo
---
Also in reply to re-tapping in the same star nut. The actual inner part you screw the bolt into is spinning freely so trying to tighten the bolt at the moment just causes the whole middle thing to rotate as well, i think it rusted.

And im gonna take your advice about getting new spacers. That might very well be a contributing factor. Currently the lack of pre-load is because of the inability to tighten the top cap. Gonna get some metal spacers (Think someone mentioned this before, should have changed them earlier Whip [/Quote]

I use a cheap BMX one with a simple flat peice.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 23:14 Quote
bigburd wrote:
MarioMalev wrote:
hello! I lost the holder of my rear axle on my demo 8 2016 I Couldn't find any pictures of it so i just took a foto of my axle . Do any of you know where i can buy it, or can you give me a better soulution than a bolt and a pulley. Confused
isa bika

Contacting a specialized dealer would be the logical thing no ?

That's what I am gonna do today, wish me luckSmile

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 23:15 Quote
bigburd wrote:
MarioMalev wrote:
hello! I lost the holder of my rear axle on my demo 8 2016 I Couldn't find any pictures of it so i just took a foto of my axle . Do any of you know where i can buy it, or can you give me a better soulution than a bolt and a pulley. Confused
isa bika

Contacting a specialized dealer would be the logical thing no ?

Depends where you are from but just order it online e. g.:

https://www.bike24.de/p1186872.html?q=specialized+demo

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 6:58 Quote
Eek Got the bugger out. Smacked the metal petal thing's of the star nut till it pop.

photo

That stem lock is sinz v2, 1 1/8. But as mentioned any should be fine. (Just stating for reference incase anyone wants to know)

Went ahead and undid all the bolts for the top and bottom crown (This is scary the first time you do it because the stanchions will move).

Then i put the stem lock in and tighten it down (remember to check your stem goes inside the spacer, if you are using default demo spacers they have these stupid ridges on the inside).

Once it was squished together. i then pushed the stanchions into the crowns again and got the tape measure out Eek
And cranked those stem bolt's down Jailbreak

Still got to get some replacement spacers (Some of them are worn out a little bit 'bleddy plastic crap >.> ) And it will also look better and line up properly.

Other than that hopefully this will fix the bit of play that happened after a ride or so. tup

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
Anybody using a Shimano rear derailleur on their Demo? I have a Zee on a 2019 AL Demo and it knocks against the rear triangle when it's in the smallest cogs on the cassette. I've run the B screw in to move the derailleur farther from the frame, and that made it a bit better, but it still happens (and also shifts even worse... it doesn't shift that great at its' best).

I have a piece of mastic on that part of the frame, so there's no scratching or damage. The derailleur looks fine so far too, but it's a really annoying noise.

I know there are plenty of potential sources for knocking noises, but I confirmed this was the cause of the knocking noise by riding the same trails in the biggest cog, and by shifting way up mid-run, and that quiets it.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 11:27 Quote
Are you using all the sprocket's ? (full 10 speed casette ?)

Was curious about this as well. Does the knocking happen between gear's 3-10 ?

Edit - Re-read and you said it only happens on smallest cog Rolleyes

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
Not just the smallest, the smallest few cogs. I didn't pay attention quite that closely, I'd guess it knocks in the bottom 3 cogs, at least. Maybe more. I have a full 10-speed cassette, an 11-25.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 14:59 Quote
yes, run some slapper or mastic tape on the edge of the triangle and your derailleur. Happens with shimano short cage (ie Saint)

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 18:18 Quote
I use both the Z. and the saint without a problem.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 10:59 Quote
Got a brand new boxed Progressive Demo linkage for sale if anyone is interested. Apparently I got the last one in the uk... maybe I did or maybe I didn’t. It was fitted but due to unforeseen circumstances I’m not keeping the bike so never used it.

Looking what I paid for it.

£150.00 plus postage.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 13:14 Quote
rocko1982 wrote:
Got a brand new boxed Progressive Demo linkage for sale if anyone is interested. Apparently I got the last one in the uk... maybe I did or maybe I didn’t. It was fitted but due to unforeseen circumstances I’m not keeping the bike so never used it.

Looking what I paid for it.

£150.00 plus postage.

I'm interested!

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 16:47 Quote
Hey guys! Just curious.I have a 2017 demo 8 carbon that has been rode pretty hard this summer. What bearings to look at for wear? Is there a bearing kit available for all bearings? best bearing provider?(specialized)? Do not know if I want to tear down bike and replace all bearings? Just looking to do some maintenance during winter for next year riding.Just want to look at all bearings and see what needs replaced.
cheers!

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
mitchman117 wrote:
Hey guys! Just curious.I have a 2017 demo 8 carbon that has been rode pretty hard this summer. What bearings to look at for wear? Is there a bearing kit available for all bearings? best bearing provider?(specialized)? Do not know if I want to tear down bike and replace all bearings? Just looking to do some maintenance during winter for next year riding.Just want to look at all bearings and see what needs replaced.
cheers!

You can do a simple tear down and remove the linkage and rear triangle and look at the bearings. Spin them around with your fingers, if they feel gritty I’d replace them. You can get a complete bearing kit from enduroforkseals.com. You might have to email them and ask for one as I don’t see it on their website (I emailed requesting one a while back and they provided all the bearings needed).

Drop the chain and spin your cranks too. If it sounds or feels gritty, I’d say it’s time to replace the bottom bracket bearings.

Do the same for the headset. The headset bearings are always the first to go. I’ve replaced mine on my 17 demo twice already.

Aside from bearings. The only other major servicing I would do is a fork service and get some fresh fluid in your brakes. Your shock is pretty new so I’d say that’s fine.

I have the same bike same year and my bearings feel fine. I beat the crap out of my bike this summer racing too. Probably won’t do a full bearing change until the end of next season. I will be stripping it all down soon to inspect and make sure though.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 8:24 Quote
Eek Need some advice please if anyone can help.
So the stuck lock ring problem i'm having. I have started to file down the outside of the ring because it's not coming loose with force alone. (It's like fuzed itself together with the last sprocket Eek )

photo

If i keep filing it down around the outer rim will there be a gap between the hub body and the lock ring ? I just don't want to damage the threads on the hub.

Alternatively is there a better way ? like cutting it off from the top etc instead ? I don't want to destroy it SO much that in a last ditch attempt a LBS might be able to undo it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014991
Mobile Version of Website