Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 13:17 Quote
That candy red demo is so nice! No offense to anyone else, but that is possibly my favorite DH bike that I've seen yet. There was a chrome Demo in Whistler that looks real nice, but the red is even nicer.

I heard a lot of the carbon demo frames cracked in that same spot. I assume that's why Spec went back to the older layout, and why their warranty is so quick. They must know that there was a stress concentration causing issues.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 14:39 Quote
What do you think?
photo

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
aesp wrote:
What do you think?
photo

Same spot both mine cracked, and bigburd aswell. Sorry to say that frame is ready for the bin.

Always on the non drive side.

It's a carbon layup issue. Not enough thickness in that area of the BB junction. I had mine ultrasounded and the carbon in that particular area was 0.4mm thick where it should be 3-4mm.

Good news is specialized warranty is the best I've ever seen.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 16:00 Quote
This specialized warranty y'all are talking about... does this only come with when you purchase it from a bike shop brand new? Do I still have warranty if I purchased the bike 2nd hand from someone else (bought from some guy in Denmark and I live in the US)? My frame is wrapped so I can't see currently if I have anything in that area but I remember thinking that I had some small cracks like Brasher just posted but I didn't think anything of it.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 16:58 Quote
phuley94 wrote:
This specialized warranty y'all are talking about... does this only come with when you purchase it from a bike shop brand new? Do I still have warranty if I purchased the bike 2nd hand from someone else (bought from some guy in Denmark and I live in the US)? My frame is wrapped so I can't see currently if I have anything in that area but I remember thinking that I had some small cracks like Brasher just posted but I didn't think anything of it.

I would venture to say that it wouldn’t be covered. Buying using pretty much drops all warranties... but, it does seem that specialized is pretty great with this issue, so they may do something for you. Maybe a replacement frame at cost? Maybe even for free. Worth a try regardless.

Now that these keep popping up I need to check mine. But it’s wrapped like yours so that stinks.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 18:20 Quote
Hey guys! So,the frame cracks you guys are getting are from the non-driver side of frame,right where the frame/tube starts to go up? from the BB?(confused on area with the pictures posted). so basically the carbon is cracking/separating and it is making the paint separate/cracking? Also,what year are your guy's frames? Just wanting to check the suspect area on my frame. Thanks dudes!

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 18:22 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
Whip Double traitors.. lul
HAHAHAHA!
lol!
double whammy.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
mitchman117 wrote:
Hey guys! So,the frame cracks you guys are getting are from the non-driver side of frame,right where the frame/tube starts to go up? from the BB?(confused on area with the pictures posted). so basically the carbon is cracking/separating and it is making the paint separate/cracking? Also,what year are your guy's frames? Just wanting to check the suspect area on my frame. Thanks dudes!

that's right, near where the seat tube and BB intersect.

First one was a 2016 Black/yellow S-works, then another 2016 in the Raw black carbon S-works. My 2018 they replaced it with was fine and ultrasounded 3.8mm thick on both sides. No issues.

So I'm thinking they must have added more meat in that area for 2018.... or I just got a good one?

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 0:28 Quote
How short can you make the seat post on a 2018 demo 8?

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 2:38 Quote
Dylrob4 wrote:
How short can you make the seat post on a 2018 demo 8?
they come with a sticker showing minimum insertion, I'm pretty sure it's gotta go down to at least where the seat tube blends to top tube from what I remember, also you wanna leave enough that the tyre does not hit the seat of course.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 9:53 Quote
Brasher wrote:
mitchman117 wrote:

First one was a 2016 Black/yellow S-works, then another 2016 in the Raw black carbon S-works. My 2018 they replaced it with was fine and ultrasounded 3.8mm thick on both sides. No issues.

So I'm thinking they must have added more meat in that area for 2018.... or I just got a good one?
mine is from drive side!

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
aesp wrote:
Brasher wrote:
mitchman117 wrote:

mine is from drive side!

Fingers crossed the replacement frame they sent me lasts about a year, then when that one goes the same way I'll get the new version, as they won't be able to find the same as the current frame by then.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 14:27 Quote
Anyone got a like to the torque specs for the demo 2016/17 carbon.

I’d really appreciate it. Tried google but all the manuals seem to be older. Thanks

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 1:59 Quote
rocko1982 wrote:
Anyone got a like to the torque specs for the demo 2016/17 carbon.

I’d really appreciate it. Tried google but all the manuals seem to be older. Thanks

https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000044211.pdf

Is from 2015 but Specialized itself adds it to the 2016 version on their website (Bike->Archiv->Downhill-> Choose your model and you get all Manuals you need but don´t trust the rear spring recommendation Big Grin just add 150-200 and you´re fine Wink

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
Has anyone been able to quiet down these bikes? I have a 2017 alloy base model. I seem to have an obnoxious clang when hitting big rough stuff. Chased the chain slap for a while, thinking it might be the free hub or cassette when there is slack and then re engages? Any pointers?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013597
Mobile Version of Website