DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 14:21 Quote
tuckfordouble wrote:
lxzn wrote:
Hello from Germany! I am hoping you are able to help me with my DVO Sapphire D1 fork. My bike is a Radon Cragger 8.0 2022, it's only 2 weeks old and just about 70-80km on it. I am a beginner in the MTB world and I have mainly done pavements, fire roads and some very light s0 trails. Everything has been working fine until last night, my LSC dial is not turning anymore. If I turn it hard the HSC turns with it.

I have reset everything to default settings on the fork and still no success.I am hoping there is an easy fix that I have not found online yet. Radon has suggested to send the fork to the mechanic and possibly to the DVO partner here in Germany for a check-up/fix however this could take up to 3 weeks and I just want to ride Frown

Many thanks in advance !

First email DVO. They are super helpful and will tell you what to do.

You could try taking off the adjuster knobs to see if they are sticking. Just undo the little hex screw at the top and they will come off. If it's not that then it has to be something internal, in which case you're better off sending it to a professional.

Thanks a lot mate, I have just emailed them and I am hoping for a favorable reply. I tried unscrewing the top cap already and to me it looks fine, but then again I am still a newbie

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 12:33 Quote
2021 Onyx - So Much Friction on the Rebound Shaft

I just picked up a very lightly used Onyx, because I love my Diamond, and wanted a bit more stiffness. I took everything apart for a full service yesterday, and found that the Rebound Shaft on the Damper Assembly was ridiculously stiff sliding in both directions. Shaft is dead straight, very smooth, and the same diameter everywhere, so I figured it must be the quad-seal in the Stanchion Plug causing all the friction. Slid the plug off of the shaft, and there are no signs of seal wear/damage on the quad-seal or the o-ring, and the little bushing runs very smooth on the shaft. I figured the Stanchion Plug may be out of spec with a tight seal bore, but my buddy who services these forks at a very reputable suspension shop says that's just how those seals fit. He said he hasn't been able to find a fix, other than making sure it's well lubed. My Diamond didn't have this issue at all with the damper assembly, but it does run a slightly different Stanchion Cap/Plug, so probably a slightly different assembly.

Anyone else run into this?? It seems unreasonably tight.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 13:13 Quote
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc7JXaRh74g/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I messaged Adam in NZ who I know are developing a new seal for that seal head to removed the friction but he said it’s such a delicate balance between seal geometry being tight enough to not ingest and blow the damper cartridge and getting it smooth. I’ve asked to buy this seal but they won’t let me till they are sure it can get atleast 50hrs without needing to have the excess damper fluid drained.

I’m guessing this is the result

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cdzpg-ijZGd/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 13:28 Quote
Lololmalol wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc7JXaRh74g/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I messaged Adam in NZ who I know are developing a new seal for that seal head to removed the friction but he said it’s such a delicate balance between seal geometry being tight enough to not ingest and blow the damper cartridge and getting it smooth. I’ve asked to buy this seal but they won’t let me till they are sure it can get atleast 50hrs without needing to have the excess damper fluid drained.

I’m guessing this is the result

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cdzpg-ijZGd/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Wow, that's certainly a lot better than mine! Impressive. I guess at least I know I'm not alone with that issue. My buddie who's a suspension tech says he he's tried a few different quad seals in that zone to see if he can improve things, and hasn't found anything that holds up for more than a race weekend. Sounds like it is a delicate balance between performance and durability.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 16:47 Quote
Yeah 100% and making it too soft and blowing everyone’s dampers is way worse than being a bit sticky that only a small amount of people will ever notice.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 18:42 Quote
mammal wrote:
2021 Onyx - So Much Friction on the Rebound Shaft

I just picked up a very lightly used Onyx, because I love my Diamond, and wanted a bit more stiffness. I took everything apart for a full service yesterday, and found that the Rebound Shaft on the Damper Assembly was ridiculously stiff sliding in both directions. Shaft is dead straight, very smooth, and the same diameter everywhere, so I figured it must be the quad-seal in the Stanchion Plug causing all the friction. Slid the plug off of the shaft, and there are no signs of seal wear/damage on the quad-seal or the o-ring, and the little bushing runs very smooth on the shaft. I figured the Stanchion Plug may be out of spec with a tight seal bore, but my buddy who services these forks at a very reputable suspension shop says that's just how those seals fit. He said he hasn't been able to find a fix, other than making sure it's well lubed. My Diamond didn't have this issue at all with the damper assembly, but it does run a slightly different Stanchion Cap/Plug, so probably a slightly different assembly.

Anyone else run into this?? It seems unreasonably tight.

I noticed the exact same thing when I serviced my onyx for the first time and I also thought I was the only one with this problem. My fork has some stiction issues and I don't think its the bushings in the lowers because the lowers slide very easily on the stanchions with the airspring and rebound/damper assembly disconnected, but once I connect the rebound/damper assembly shaft to the lowers, the fork feels very sticky again. I was going to send it to DVO for them to check out but I got busy and never had the time to ship it.

I have a little trouble believing every fork has this issue (at least to this extent) because I've tried other onyxs that felt extremely supple, so I don't see how those forks could have the same issue and still feel amazing.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 7:35 Quote
domdb wrote:
I have a little trouble believing every fork has this issue (at least to this extent) because I've tried other onyxs that felt extremely supple, so I don't see how those forks could have the same issue and still feel amazing.

I hear you, but my buddy who services Onyx at work all the time said his was super stiff/sticky too, but yet his fork feels buttery smooth. So I have hope that after the bushings are as good as possible, and I get some of their friction-reducing "special sauce" on there, it will feel great as well. We shall see.

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 19:22 Quote
Anyone in the US have a 0mm spring clip for a Jade they’re interested in letting go of?

Posted: Jul 15, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
theme: list of compatible Light Weight springs for DVO Jade X

So, I just bought newes shiny DVO Jade X 200x57 (191-9122-30)

DVO Jade X 200x57 2022

DVO Jade X 200x57 2022

with couple of standart springs 400, 450 and 500.

400 lbs spring for DVO Jade X 200x57 2022

450 lbs spring for DVO Jade X 200x57 2022

500 lbs spring for DVO Jade X 200x57 2022

When I decide which size is perfect for me - I will buy some "Light Weight'' spring.
The question is: what Light Weight springs are there that fit my Jade X ?
I'm a newbie to coil springs, so ...

Posted: Jul 15, 2022 at 18:59 Quote
Fwiw, a big issue with cheap springs is their inconsistency between rates, be cautious, mostly aren't even close to what is stamped on them!

Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 2:23 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Fwiw, a big issue with cheap springs is their inconsistency between rates, be cautious, mostly aren't even close to what is stamped on them!
those, I bought, are official DVOs springs..

Anyway, yes, after I'm lucky to determine which lbs is good enough for me - i'm going to buy a light weight (they usually are expensive, 100+$ ) spring.
Question is - what should i look for then ? I mean specifications, brands,..

Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 7:02 Quote
ka81 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

Anyway, yes, after I'm lucky to determine which lbs is good enough for me - i'm going to buy a light weight (they usually are expensive, 100+$ ) spring.

Why not use DVO's LS springs? They seem to work pretty good for me. However, I can't attest to the accuracy of the labeled spring rate as I don't have those capabilities. But I do have several DVO LS springs and the only issue I've had was the finish. The first one I bought in 2018/2019 showed some rust after the first season. DVO revamped their coating and replaced the spring at no cost to me. No issues since.

Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 7:10 Quote
ka81 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

It’s a problem with cheap springs, dvo or any other brand, I had an issue with a dvo 500lbs spring. It gave more sag than a 450. Go figure.

Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
PapaGordo wrote:

Why not use DVO's LS springs? They seem to work pretty good for me.
of course, no problem with DVOs LS. I was just curious what other brands I may look at... Just in case..

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 7:58 Quote
Any 36.5mm id spring fits. Cane Creek and the others. Even sprindex with adapters.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016165
Mobile Version of Website