Carbon fibre repair

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Carbon fibre repair
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 1, 2016 at 21:43 Quote
I'm looking for a shop or someone in the Canmore/Calgary area that could do a repair on a Santa Cruz cracked chain stay. Not 100% broken but a serious crack, still straight though.

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2016 at 5:15 Quote
I wouldn't trust carbon thats been repaired, even professionally. Once those fibres are broken its pretty difficult to get them back to their original strength/integrity. You would be better off replacing the rear triangle

Posted: Sep 12, 2016 at 6:23 Quote
velociraptor-clintthrust wrote:
I wouldn't trust carbon thats been repaired, even professionally. Once those fibres are broken its pretty difficult to get them back to their original strength/integrity. You would be better off replacing the rear triangle

...and you're basing this opinion on....?

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2016 at 14:38 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
velociraptor-clintthrust wrote:

...and you're basing this opinion on....?

I'm an aircraft technician and I work with a few structural fitters... And the aircraft I work on is 90% composite materials

FL
Posted: Sep 12, 2016 at 15:34 Quote
Carbon repair is totally safe if done by a professional. It will add a little bit of weight (less than 20 grams) but will be just as strong. My buddy does a lot of carbon repair on bikes and he's never seen a frame break in the same place. Carbon fiber repair is awesome. I've seen almost entire top tubes and bottom bracket areas fixed. Get that carbon repaired!

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2016 at 15:47 Quote
Well if people have had good experiences with it then I stand corrected

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 21:58 Quote
Quite a few comments on here about not trusting carbon repair.

Coming from someone that’s repaired several hundred frames and I haven’t had a single one come back For warranty I’d trust it. I buy broken frames now and repair them and then buy old it up for my personal bike.

I am biased since I run a carbon repair shop.

https://www.utahcarbonbikerepair.com/

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 10:32 Quote
utahcarbonbikerepair wrote:
Quite a few comments on here about not trusting carbon repair.

Coming from someone that’s repaired several hundred frames and I haven’t had a single one come back For warranty I’d trust it. I buy broken frames now and repair them and then buy old it up for my personal bike.

I am biased since I run a carbon repair shop.

https://www.utahcarbonbikerepair.com/

I have not repaired carbon, but generally if you contact the manufacturer, they may have shops they use/recommend for carbon repair. I know Ibis has a few shops they recommend in CA.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.071969
Mobile Version of Website