Coil or air rear shock for downhill racing

PB Forum :: Downhill
Coil or air rear shock for downhill racing
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Feb 9, 2016 at 17:45 Quote
I am looking to upgrade my rear shock and I am trying to decide if i should get a air or coil shock help please.

Posted: Feb 10, 2016 at 1:30 Quote
I choose coil
Vivid R2C with titanium spring or DHX X2

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2016 at 21:56 Quote
In my opinion it's just preference. Airs are generally lighter and let you change spring weight without changing an actual spring.

Posted: Feb 11, 2016 at 23:11 Quote
Depends on frame, your weight, willingness to experiment with springrates, how long your average dh-runs are and your general preference.
There is a distinctive difference in the feel between coil and air. Not necessarily better or worse, just more suited for different riding styles i´d say.
The heavier you are and the longer your average runs, the more likely heating issues might occur with an air shock. Modern DH airshocks are pretty heat resistant though.
Air shocks tend to work better in more linear suspension designs, while coil shocks are pretty much good in every bike.
Air shocks can be great for lighter riders as the springs tuning range allows for a finer adjustment than a coil which in my experience benefits lighter people and can lead to a better setup.
Those are just some generalisations though. If you want to get everything perfect, gather some more information on the specific parts and make an informed decision.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008595
Mobile Version of Website