GT La Bomba VS NS Surge Evo

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
GT La Bomba VS NS Surge Evo
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 11, 2015 at 10:21 Quote
With the Louisville Mega Caverns being only a 2 hour drive and all the previous BMX only parks allowing mountain bikes, I'm wanting to get a do everything bike. It's going to be mainly used for freeriding the mega caverns and local skills areas, but will also be the bike that I will allow a few of my friends to ride whenever we go out on the trails. Basically an all mountain hardtail that is still fun and flickable in the bike park. So far, I have narrowed it down to two bikes. (I have a GT Sensor Expert that is barely stock that I use for everything else and wouldn't mind being able to swap everything back and forth between bikes like wheelsets and forks.)

The first bike is the GT La Bomba 26". I'd get it used and specifically try and get the 2013 or 2014 model. $500-$1000 assembled.

The other bike is the NS Surge Evo 650b or 26". I'll have to build it, but I already have a set of bars and a 650b wheelset that I could use. $600-$1100 that i have to assemble.

What would you do? Any other suggestions?

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 11, 2015 at 10:37 Quote
I've ridden a La Bomba before, and they are very small. Basically a dirt jumper/ slopestyle deal.

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 at 12:32 Quote
Would you say it's XC able? Or strictly a park/dj bike?

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 11, 2015 at 15:21 Quote
Well, its a pretty small bike, so it wouldn't fit if you are even vaguely tall. Plus the geometry isn't very xc friendly.

Posted: Dec 12, 2015 at 10:42 Quote
I have the bomba. Good bike, just not the best trail bike. I don't have mine built for trails though. It has a street tire on te rear and only a rear brake. It could be made to be a trailish bike but probably wouldn't feel too good. I'd go for the surge. They are good all around frames from what I have heard.

Posted: Dec 12, 2015 at 20:37 Quote
Surge. Definitely.

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 at 6:59 Quote
I forgot to mention that I'm 5'10 on a good hair day. And thank's everybody for your input. Looks like the NS Surge Evo it is. Now just to sell a bunch of stuff to fund the build. Know anybody needing big block Chevy parts? lol

Also, thank's everybody for their input!

Posted: Dec 27, 2016 at 11:11 Quote
Army green Surge!

Posted: Dec 27, 2016 at 11:12 Quote
jglenn6 wrote:
I forgot to mention that I'm 5'10 on a good hair day. And thank's everybody for your input. Looks like the NS Surge Evo it is. Now just to sell a bunch of stuff to fund the build. Know anybody needing big block Chevy parts? lol

Still have the Saginaw steering gear?

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 at 9:10 Quote
XCMark wrote:
jglenn6 wrote:

Still have the Saginaw steering gear?

I'll see what I've got. I think I traded one for a L78 snowflake manifold a while back. The guy didn't know what he had and I didn't have the heart to tell him, but I made it right by adding some original beauty rings off of some rally wheels.

I went with the Red/Orange one by the way.

photo

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 10:14 Quote
NS is sending me the Army Green Surge in Large. Can't wait!

Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 8:02 Quote
2016 NS Surge EVO FSA Orbit C-40 Headset 50mm Stem Kore Durox AL6061 DB 740mm Bars Shimano Deore SLX Brakes with 180mm Rotors Rockshox Sektor Gold RL 140mm Fork Raceface Ride 170 Raceface Narrow Wide 32 Chainring ODI Plastic Pedals Sun Ringle 26 Wheelset singlespeed for now Specialized Fast Track 26x2.0

It just flys! I have it built up using 26" wheels right now and I can't ask for more. Once I get my 27.5 wheels built up, I'm gonna try it out on some trails. I'm thinking that I'm going to like this one over my full sus 2014 GT Sensor

photo

Posted: Feb 26, 2017 at 21:56 Quote
jglenn6 wrote:

It just flys! I have it built up using 26" wheels right now and I can't ask for more. Once I get my 27.5 wheels built up, I'm gonna try it out on some trails. I'm thinking that I'm going to like this one over my full sus 2014 GT Sensor

I got one also. What travel is your fork? Mine is 130mm Manitou Circus.

photo

Posted: Feb 28, 2017 at 12:27 Quote
It's set at 140mm right now (Rockshox Sektor Gold - Factory fork on the sensor). I'm getting ready to purchase a new fork for the GT and am thinking about getting it set at 150. If i do that, i'm going to throw it on the Surge for a bit to see how it handles. Worst case scenario is that I don't like it on either bike at 150 and reduce the travel to 140.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014681
Mobile Version of Website