Is "RestoMod" allowed or even tollerated here?

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Is "RestoMod" allowed or even tollerated here?
Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 13:45 Quote
Love me some resto mod.
photo

Don't get me wrong, period correct is great. But a huge part of mountain bike ownership is upgrading. As long as it makes sense.

Here's my 95 Bianchi,

Period correct:
Original Paul love levers,
Critical Racing Canti's,
1st year production Marzocchi Z2

Not correct:
CK disc hubs (left over from a previous bike) on funky laced Mavics.
XO 9 speed rear D & shifters (They are amazing)
SRAM 990 9 speed cassette because red spider
Raceface Next LP cranks, came with the bike when I bought it
Thomson post, can't find a layback ti post in 26.8
Moots ti stem, because ti
White Bros riser bar because ti
Bike bell, because ti, & safety
WTB Volt team 142mm, most comfy saddle ever
VP pedals, flats are the thang.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 18:21 Quote
eshew wrote:
Love me some resto mod.
photo

Don't get me wrong, period correct is great. But a huge part of mountain bike ownership is upgrading. As long as it makes sense.

Here's my 95 Bianchi,

Period correct:
Original Paul love levers,
Critical Racing Canti's,
1st year production Marzocchi Z2

Not correct:
CK disc hubs (left over from a previous bike) on funky laced Mavics.
XO 9 speed rear D & shifters (They are amazing)
SRAM 990 9 speed cassette because red spider
Raceface Next LP cranks, came with the bike when I bought it
Thomson post, can't find a layback ti post in 26.8
Moots ti stem, because ti
White Bros riser bar because ti
Bike bell, because ti, & safety
WTB Volt team 142mm, most comfy saddle ever
VP pedals, flats are the thang.

Cool sled !!!

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 0:28 Quote
David....! Enjoy ya rides. ????

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 5:17 Quote
Love seeing the older bikes come to life again and adding mix of new parts to make it happen and to make the bike more rideable is fine by me.

Here is a shameless plug for some Shimano 737 pedals from back in the day if anyone is interested.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2541162/

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 0:07 Quote
How do I post some pictures of my modern-retro......?

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 8:24 Quote
[PI=insert the numbers in the URL of the picture here][/PI]

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Nov 27, 2019 at 19:44 Quote
My winter build took almost a year to collect up all the parts. Started with the 2000 Mantra Comp frame I found on Kijiji.
photo

Started out as a bare frame I stumbled onto on kijiji.
Always loved the mantra frame, ride it on very light trails, only went otb once so far. Smile
Collected other parts on PB and a bunch from my parts drawer.

The thing i like the most is a 22mm direct mount hayes caliper.
I converted the seals to nitrile and connected them to M975 Xtr levers with mineral oil, no issues after a year.

1x10 speed drive train, have changed to 11-34 because of the type of riding i do mostly on it.

Posted: Mar 19, 2020 at 5:49 Quote
photo
photo

My Megamo Pro Equip...

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2020 at 7:33 Quote
potato wrote:
My winter build took almost a year to collect up all the parts. Started with the 2000 Mantra Comp frame I found on Kijiji.
photo

Always loved the mantra frame, ride it on very light trails, only went otb once so far. Smile

I converted the seals to nitrile and connected them to M975 Xtr levers with mineral oil, no issues after a year.

1x10 speed drive train, have changed to 11-34 because of the type of riding i do mostly on it.

Now that is a high pivot rear suspension!
Very cool!

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
Working on my '88 Cannondale as we speak. Converting to Singlespeed with all blue ano! just trying to find rigid fork is proving a little difficult. lol! post pics later.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 3:22 Quote
potato wrote:
photo

YES!!!!!! Love it!

If you ever have probs with the rear caliper, let me know; I have spares. Mine is a 1X7....with 11-26, and 32T front. Not the fastest thing ever, just meant for cruising.

Oh, and yer shock is upsidewards. Helps with keeping the liquid bits from getting into the airy bits. Just sayin'.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 7:15 Quote
Hey thanks!

I checked yours out as well, same frame, nice!
What is the air can for, or am I seeing that wrong?

When I found the rear 22mm caliper, the guy had spare parts with it, so I have extra pistons, and pads, should last me a long time.

There are interference issues on the shock with the back of the main beam; on the top of the air can.
So I had to mount upside down, but I did look up "Fox RP shocks mounted upside down".
I haven't had issues, and other have said it shouldn't be a problem.
And I also found the new Norco Fluid, from last year, came stock with the shock "upside down", we'll see I guess.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
potato wrote:
Hey thanks!

I checked yours out as well, same frame, nice!
What is the air can for, or am I seeing that wrong?

When I found the rear 22mm caliper, the guy had spare parts with it, so I have extra pistons, and pads, should last me a long time.

There are interference issues on the shock with the back of the main beam; on the top of the air can.
So I had to mount upside down, but I did look up "Fox RP shocks mounted upside down".
I haven't had issues, and other have said it shouldn't be a problem.
And I also found the new Norco Fluid, from last year, came stock with the shock "upside down", we'll see I guess.

Airlines are a no-cables shifting system, released in very-limited numbers 20 years ago. I felt like it was a time-appropriate thing for the build...

I don't think there''ll be too many issues with having the shock inverted - it's just a matter of water (and the other particulates) getting into seals. They clear 99.9% of the stuff anyways! Just thought it a weird to see it mounted like that! Razz

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 17:40 Quote
photo

The frame is 25 years old and still rides great (around town anyway!).

I managed to find some NOS 26" Stans ZTR 355s and was able to convert it to tubeless - rim brakes, 10 year old tires and all. It improved the ride and made the handling even more snappy, while dropping a bunch of weight. So I decided to get rid of a few of the other heavier parts - adding some DMR V12 Mg pedals and some NS Bikes License bars (in brown, of course) that I cut down. Functional improvements include a hand-me-down 11-40t XT drivetrain from my trailbike and a 34t Absolute Black oval chainring. It weighs in around 22 lbs now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029948
Mobile Version of Website