2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 18:11 Quote
coney wrote:
yo - been toying with the idea of upgrading my 2015 Reign 1 alu frame to a carbon non-boost 2015/16 advanced frameset - heaps for sale at the moment, and f*ck boost, so yay for me.

anyone know the actual frame weights of mediums from that year? anyone notice any real difference out on the trail? if it's just 200 grams I cbf.
the weight difference is pretty marginal however the stiffer frame could be the biggest benefit if you push the bike hard.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 18:41 Quote
tricyclerider wrote:
coney wrote:
yo - been toying with the idea of upgrading my 2015 Reign 1 alu frame to a carbon non-boost 2015/16 advanced frameset - heaps for sale at the moment, and f*ck boost, so yay for me.

anyone know the actual frame weights of mediums from that year? anyone notice any real difference out on the trail? if it's just 200 grams I cbf.
the weight difference is pretty marginal however the stiffer frame could be the biggest benefit if you push the bike hard.

shot bro - love my wide/stiff carbon rim combo for that reason...makes sense.

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 19:28 Quote
Does the handle of the the rear axle on any of your guys' bikes hit the seatstays and chainstays when rotating? It's a small annoyance that I'm wondering is normal or not. My buddy's Reign has the same quirk as well so I'm not so sure

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 20:23 Quote
coney wrote:

I've had both alloy and carbon (2015 Reign 1, 2017 Adv 1), and it does ride differently imo. It's a bit snappier as far as handling goes, feels more stable when you are leaned over in a high speed berm, and it's a bit more precise.

It's not worlds apart, but just subtle little differences that help it ride a touch better. I wouldn't pay thousands for a new frame but if it was $500ish I would go for it.

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 1:00 Quote
Eddkilla wrote:
Does the handle of the the rear axle on any of your guys' bikes hit the seatstays and chainstays when rotating? It's a small annoyance that I'm wondering is normal or not. My buddy's Reign has the same quirk as well so I'm not so sure

Shove a pipe on there and bend it out a bit if it does. I did it

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 2:06 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
coney wrote:

I've had both alloy and carbon (2015 Reign 1, 2017 Adv 1), and it does ride differently imo. It's a bit snappier as far as handling goes, feels more stable when you are leaned over in a high speed berm, and it's a bit more precise.

It's not worlds apart, but just subtle little differences that help it ride a touch better. I wouldn't pay thousands for a new frame but if it was $500ish I would go for it.

cheers mate - appreciate the reply. at the moment there are loads just offering the full bike, so it's looking like a bridge too far. could sell the frankenbike combo-type deal out of the spares, but it'd look a bit jacked I reckon. anyway, I'm happy. just......curious......#yeahright

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 3:50 Quote
for people running a monarch plus, what rebound and compression tune are you using?

I've currently got a coil shock on my large 2016 reign (rockshox vivid with 500 lb spring), and was thinking about swapping it out for a monarch plus. I'm about 95kg kitted up and tend to run with a fair bit of rebound damping (ie slow rebound) on both my reign and dh bike, if either of those matters.

cheers for any advice

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 5:19 Quote
Can somebody tell me please, will that fork MARZOCCHI 350 NCR AIR 27.5" ( Tapered ) http://www.jensonusa.com/Marzocchi-350-NCR-Air-275-Fork need some other headset for Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD 2016 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ru/reign-27dot5-2-ltd-2016 ?
If yes then what exactly headset should I get?

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 5:54 Quote
ka81 wrote:
Can somebody tell me please, will that fork MARZOCCHI 350 NCR AIR 27.5" ( Tapered ) http://www.jensonusa.com/Marzocchi-350-NCR-Air-275-Fork need some other headset for Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD 2016 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ru/reign-27dot5-2-ltd-2016 ?

The fork will fit easily on your reign. I bought it and mounted it. Works great. You will need to cut the steer tube, obviously, and don't forget the headset race. Other than that it should fit your bike. You don't need a new headset, the stock one will work.

On a positive note, the fork is AWESOME!!!! Plus, now that Marzocchi is owned by Fox, all customer support and warranty issues go through Fox. That's a huge bonus! Great fork, great deal!

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 6:16 Quote
chrisk wrote:
ka81 wrote:

The fork will fit easily on your reign. I bought it and mounted it. Works great. You will need to cut the steer tube, obviously, and don't forget the headset race. Other than that it should fit your bike. You don't need a new headset, the stock one will work.

On a positive note, the fork is AWESOME!!!! Plus, now that Marzocchi is owned by Fox, all customer support and warranty issues go through Fox. That's a huge bonus! Great fork, great deal!
thank you very much for info.

one thing i didn't get - " headset race" - what is it?

added after: oh you menat crown race? I didn't know that fork will come without it. Could you please point on the appropriate crown race for this fork on jensonusa.com?

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 9:28 Quote
Eddkilla wrote:

Mine doesn't hit. Probably because the bike is new and I haven't bashed it on anything yet! *knocks on wood*

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 9:34 Quote
Eddkilla wrote:
not on mine. I have the dt swiss style axle handle.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 10:08 Quote
Firehawk989 wrote:
Eddkilla wrote:

Mine doesn't hit. Probably because the bike is new and I haven't bashed it on anything yet! *knocks on wood*

All in due time. That thing is made of cheese.

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 10:13 Quote
mc2 wrote:
for people running a monarch plus, what rebound and compression tune are you using?

I've currently got a coil shock on my large 2016 reign (rockshox vivid with 500 lb spring), and was thinking about swapping it out for a monarch plus. I'm about 95kg kitted up and tend to run with a fair bit of rebound damping (ie slow rebound) on both my reign and dh bike, if either of those matters.

cheers for any advice

92 kg, 260 psi with 4 bands, I think that is around 28-30% sag. Rebound 13 clicks from full out. Now, I always do downhills on "Trail" mode, as I think "descend" mode is just too soft for me. "Descend" might be better for pure jumping though, I don't know, but for opening brakes and having chassis control, trail mode for me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014026
Mobile Version of Website