PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Ragley Owners Thread - Pictures, Videos, Blah Blah
Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 9:53 Quote
its-chris wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
Not mine but it's a Ragley and thought it was interesting.. Smile

photo
is a shame it never saw the light, look kind of bansheeesque
Its not one of the ragley prototypes Chris, it's a bigwig with a spitfire rear end!

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 10:15 Quote
mallorcadave wrote:
its-chris wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
Not mine but it's a Ragley and thought it was interesting.. Smile

photo
is a shame it never saw the light, look kind of bansheeesque
Its not one of the ragley prototypes Chris, it's a bigwig with a spitfire rear end!

That is nuts hahahaha

awesome what they did!

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 14:24 Quote
Anyone had trouble with mech hangers? I've had two snap on me while just "riding along" with no major impacts or nothing. Both times it started with the shifting (new 11spd XT) getting bad. Riding the same type of riding I've maybe bent 2 over the last decade.

Posted: Feb 3, 2017 at 10:45 Quote
Hi tossing up between 2016 piglet and a blue pig (frame only), does anyone have any comments on this?

I have a giant reign for all riding at the mo and it covers the rough stuff etc super well, but it does give a lot on flatter, less knarly trail (read your typical blue/less steep forest trail)

I'd be thinking of using either bike at places like Afan/Cwmcarn/natural local forest trails etc (steeper end of spectrum) so still pretty rough but not pure DH, then the other end of the (flatter) spectrum would be like Swinley Forest to xc......it needs to pedal and be capable on the decents.

I'm more of a gravity type rider if i had to fit a bracket. I want to continue with this in a more fun poppy lively format that can still pedal better than a say a 120/130mm FS.........

To summarise I guess which is the best all rounder?

Thanks all.........really interested in your thoughts.

Posted: Feb 3, 2017 at 10:48 Quote
BluePig is what you want.

The Piglet is not as aggressive..

Posted: Feb 3, 2017 at 10:55 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
BluePig is what you want.

The Piglet is not as aggressive..

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah i'm leaning more that way (i can't resist those geo numbers), but i guess i just don't want to find out that i'm in a weird situation where i have 2 bikes aimed at the same type of riding, just in a different package.

How does the blue pig handle long days out (eg Afan) and say the average xc race?

They both look amazing - sick bikes.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2017 at 23:08 Quote
I wouldn't expect much out of the blue pig on long XC days or race. It's pretty purpose built and has a very low BB. Don't be surprised by pedal strikes more than expected. The piglet is still plenty great for geo and would easily be another company's "aggressive" hardtail. 65 HA? It would fly. I have the blue pig and it is fantastic for downhill. Really exceptional. Climbs well enough but long trail days might mean a compromise. I would love to try a big wig out.

Posted: Feb 4, 2017 at 1:25 Quote
conv3rt wrote:
I wouldn't expect much out of the blue pig on long XC days or race. It's pretty purpose built and has a very low BB. Don't be surprised by pedal strikes more than expected. The piglet is still plenty great for geo and would easily be another company's "aggressive" hardtail. 65 HA? It would fly. I have the blue pig and it is fantastic for downhill. Really exceptional. Climbs well enough but long trail days might mean a compromise. I would love to try a big wig out.

Thanks mate - really appreciate the comments.

Its a really tricky one, my heart says Bluepig (as i'm more gravity orientated) but the Piglet looks like the all rounder.

Any Piglet owners with an opinion?

Perhaps my xc comment may have confused it slightly as I just want to open up the opportunity to do a race for fun (i definitely know i wont be competitive on either/any bike!!) - the reign just turns it into a bit of a muted futile slog, which i want to kind of bridge the gap on on this bike - perhaps good tyre choice and the fact that im looking at a hard tail may be enough to do that......

Thanks guys

Posted: Feb 4, 2017 at 6:36 Quote
I have... well had a marley with an aggressive build, it was a lot of fun and could do it all, I bet a piglet would be a good choice. Still I would get a blue pig, just because f*ck yes

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 2:51 Quote
Have a Piglet, love it. Tried it with a -2 headset which was not my best idea ever, made it even more fun for all out assault on the downs but steering felt really wonky.

Running it with 26 wheels and 100mm argyle fork, 30mm stem so its a little steeper and lower than what it should be but I have it exactly how I want it for what I ride. My trails are fairly flat and mellow.

With a 120 fork its probably as good as it gets geo wise for an allrounder. With an angleset you can tailor it closer to suit down or ups.

Plus the apple green paint is stunning in person!

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 4:07 Quote
johan90 wrote:
Have a Piglet, love it. Tried it with a -2 headset which was not my best idea ever, made it even more fun for all out assault on the downs but steering felt really wonky.

Running it with 26 wheels and 100mm argyle fork, 30mm stem so its a little steeper and lower than what it should be but I have it exactly how I want it for what I ride. My trails are fairly flat and mellow.

With a 120 fork its probably as good as it gets geo wise for an allrounder. With an angleset you can tailor it closer to suit down or ups.

Plus the apple green paint is stunning in person!

Cheers mate!

I may be wrong but theres not a huge amount between them geo-wise, an angleset could mean (almost) 2 bikes in one.......

Good tips, much appreciated all : )

To CRC!!

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 12:59 Quote
Updated my MmmBop a bit, price of bits wise its been downgraded but for function in its current main use and muddy time of year definite upgrades.

Lost the Raceface Chester cranks as they were constantly coming loose even done up with a breaker bar and they weighed a ton.

Swapped the Easton ARC27's on Hope Pro2 Evos for Superstar EX23 on Superstar Fuel hubs, narrower rim 23mm internal instead of 27mm.

Tyres, gone are the Schwalbe Magic Mary Front & Nobby Nik rear and on with Specialized Purgatory Grid 2Bliss, lighter faster rolling and clear mud better.

Bike just feels much more lively, felt all a bit sluglish when the dry conditions had disappeared at the end of the summer.

Ragley Mmmbop bit of an update wheels tyres crank

Deore 9 spd crank to replace the Raceface junk I had before.

Specialized Purgatory Grid 2Bliss on Superstar EX23 Fuel hubs.

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 23:20 Quote
What is the difference between those Deore and SLX cranks and even xt cranks. Anyone geeky enough to know..

Interesting that you went with narrower rims....but maybe was other reasons for doing this. Like they was a good price or something...

I started to hear good things about Specialized tyres a while back now....I can honestly say I've never owned anything that I know of from Specialized yet...

Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 6:17 Quote
Weight and stiffness my slx are noticeable stiffer than deore

Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 7:01 Quote
I went narrower to save weight & these were good value, I could have had the 27mm version for the same price , 23m internal is still wide in the scheme of things. It wasn't so long ago Mavic D521's were the downhill racers choice with only a 21mm internal width, I think it's got a bit fashion over kill going for wide rims on anything but DH bikes in rocky terrain. What you gain in grip you loose in rolling speed, which really does feel a drag on 30km rides.

The Deore cranks in operation work as well as anything else I find, they are particularly Maintence friendly need only Allen keys to remove and they are great value, they are Zee without the steel pedal inserts. Which again if not on a DH or dirt jump bike is overkill I think. I don't miss the Chesters.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018047
Mobile Version of Website