Top of the World at Whistler

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Top of the World at Whistler
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 11, 2014 at 9:01 Quote
Here's a question for the Whistler people - I'm coming out for the weekend Sept 5-8, and I was planning on hitting the park on the Monday, but I have to be off the hill and on the bus at 1 pm.

I want to do Top of The World while I'm there, and I'm wondering what's the best approach? Do I have time to do it on the Monday morning as one run, straight down - or should I do it first thing Sunday, and ride the park the rest of Sunday and Monday morning? I don't really want to rush it, as I hear it's an amazing place to hang out and enjoy the view, but I've got no idea how long it's realistically going to take to ride. I'm a solid intermediate female rider, rocking a Kona Park Operator.

Any advice/tips welcome!

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 11:36 Quote
Pikasam wrote:
Here's a question for the Whistler people - I'm coming out for the weekend Sept 5-8, and I was planning on hitting the park on the Monday, but I have to be off the hill and on the bus at 1 pm.

I want to do Top of The World while I'm there, and I'm wondering what's the best approach? Do I have time to do it on the Monday morning as one run, straight down - or should I do it first thing Sunday, and ride the park the rest of Sunday and Monday morning? I don't really want to rush it, as I hear it's an amazing place to hang out and enjoy the view, but I've got no idea how long it's realistically going to take to ride. I'm a solid intermediate female rider, rocking a Kona Park Operator.

Any advice/tips welcome!

On the bus at 1pm is doable as long as you don't have any mechanicals or fall on TOTW Smile . Peak lift opens at 11am, so you'd have to go straight there and ride TOTW and it will be an expensive day since you need a full day lift ticket + TOTW add-on.

I'm also an intermediate and rode TOTW for the first time a few weeks ago. The trail is not challenging other than a couple somewhat steep rock sections at the start which have a bit of exposure if you fall (watch the Pinkbike EWS Whistler video to see them). I found the single black tech trails lower down had much more challenging features than TOTW. That said, riding the top section with time pressure may not be the greatest idea.

Depending how fast you ride you may have to bomb down fire road and green/blue flow trails on Garbo/Fitz to have time to clean up the bike and change and make it to the bus on time. It's a long descent top to bottom.

If you have the option, ride it Sunday instead so you can enjoy the entire run.

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 11:43 Quote
Awesome, thanks. I'll plan for Sunday then.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009534
Mobile Version of Website