Are Iron Horse Bikes good

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Are Iron Horse Bikes good
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 0:01 Quote
bfdrider wrote:
coltybear15 wrote:
bfdrider wrote:
If you get one I'd hope to hell that you don't have any issues with the frame cuz you'd be screwed if you needed to replace anything other than pivot bearings and also say good bye to warranty. That's what happens when you buy from company that no longer exists.
ya ik, hopefully i wont drop it off a cliff.

Hahahaha yah that wouldn't be a good idea. Thats when bike equipable airbags would be nice...
haha. ya

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 8:36 Quote
Gsnickets wrote:
when exactly are they dropping the dwlink, because they still have their 09 bikes listed as dwlink.... but this all happened like many months ago....

there contract terminates in 2009, i would assume they wont have many 09 dw link bikes if any

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 9:01 Quote
extremefreerider89 wrote:
Gsnickets wrote:
when exactly are they dropping the dwlink, because they still have their 09 bikes listed as dwlink.... but this all happened like many months ago....

there contract terminates in 2009, i would assume they wont have many 09 dw link bikes if any

The 2009 bike was designed back in 2008, when the contract was still with them. The contract for DESIGNING new bikes with the DW link ended 31st December 2008, so the 2009 bikes can still be produced and sold with the DW link. I guess, that as long as they don't change the design, they could still sell the same bike through 2010.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 9:22 Quote
yea the sunday is the downhill version, and the 6point4 and stuff are the freerides

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 9:42 Quote
timlake wrote:
Gsnickets wrote:

The 2009 bike was designed back in 2008, when the contract was still with them. The contract for DESIGNING new bikes with the DW link ended 31st December 2008, so the 2009 bikes can still be produced and sold with the DW link. I guess, that as long as they don't change the design, they could still sell the same bike through 2010.

Lol, except they are not a company anymore so might be pretty tough for them to keep producing bikes. Company sold everything overnight and closed doors. Randall Scott acquired all the bikes from them. You can get the Sunday from Randall Scott for dirt cheap, but finding spares for the bike will be really tough...

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 10:37 Quote
im a tech at sportchek and yes the iron horses bikes we get it are complete crap, i do like some of the high end ones that i have tested, but nah. im a cross country guy and i like trek and rocky mountain.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 0:06 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
timlake wrote:

Lol, except they are not a company anymore so might be pretty tough for them to keep producing bikes. Company sold everything overnight and closed doors. Randall Scott acquired all the bikes from them. You can get the Sunday from Randall Scott for dirt cheap, but finding spares for the bike will be really tough...

Thank you for reinforcing what I've been saying!, hardly any one is realizing that IH is now a permanent piece of mountain bike history.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 4:29 Quote
hahah yep you got that right!

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 17:49 Quote
Urbaniste wrote:
I bought an 07 Yakuza Aniki because it was on clearance and I wanted to try a full suspension, since I never had. Yep, it came with cheap parts. Yes, with the cost of upgrading it to sick status would probably just merit buying a different bike to begin with. My solution? Don't bother too much. It's cheap, that means I can beat the tar out of it and not really worry about breaking expensive stuff. But you know what? I have beat the tar out of it. And the only thing I've broken on it was a derailleur hanger when I jumped 4 gears at once, which was my fault, not the bike's.

I had to learn to accept a cheap bike because I am poor. I would love to buy a Seven Point, a Yeti or hell, a Scott Gambler FR10 for that matter, the simple fact of the matter is that I can't. So I dumped all my quality parts onto the hardtail and just enjoy trouncing my Iron Horse. I see no reason for mountain biking to become as elitist as road-biking.

To people who seem to have a proclivity towards destroying bikes, perhaps it isn't the bike's fault all the time. Since I spent years riding urban and trails on a rigid bike well after suspension was the norm, as well as freestyle unicycling and UMX/Unicycle trials I developed a certain finesse in my riding. That combined with the fact that I'm light, 145lbs. I don't break shit unless I really mess up.

So I guess in summary I will say this of my experience with my particular IH Yakuza: it is cheap, no the swingarm doesn't mount to the frame with a through axle or anything like really nasty bikes, but I've gapped to flats off the big drops at Ray's indoor and didn't break anything. Sometimes I think that I ride better BECAUSE it was so cheap and I barely care about it...Kind of like the old clunker K Car that doesn't quit.

It's a popular thing to do, going on the internet forums to berade bikes that don't cost $4,000, but if someone's looking for advice, I think people ought to be objective about it. My advice: buy the best bike you can afford, tailor it to your intended riding style, and some come better equipped than others for the price, so do research. And finally, always go for a good hardtail over a crummy full-suspension if you're only going to get one bike.
+1

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 11:13 Quote
sundays are amazing

Posted: Jul 20, 2009 at 11:57 Quote
saunders8 wrote:
im a tech at sportchek and yes the iron horses bikes we get it are complete crap, i do like some of the high end ones that i have tested, but nah. im a cross country guy and i like trek and rocky mountain.

I'm not sure your employer would like you saying that, especially because it is not accurate. Most of the problems associated with Iron Horse bikes stem from the fact that the techs (you) do not set them up properly. Iron Horse just like all bikes are a sum of their parts, and with IH you do tend to get a better setup for $ than with most bikes. If you go and buy a $300 Trek and try and do any real riding it will fall apart too. I also work for SC and in my store last year we had 2 sunday models, a 7Point, an MKIII as well as the single pivot Kumicho,Ojiki,Aniki and assorted Warrior frames. None of these I would consider crap. I have a feeling that if you are having problems with IH bikes it is because you are a crappy tech and send bikes out tuned improperly.

Posted: Jul 20, 2009 at 15:04 Quote
bfdrider wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
timlake wrote:

Thank you for reinforcing what I've been saying!, hardly any one is realizing that IH is now a permanent piece of mountain bike history.

I love how some people can't keep an open mind...guess you are wrong!

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 at 15:16 Quote
I have a 7 point that i built up this year and it is a sick bike. It jumps so damn good and the DW link is rediculously awesome.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 22:14 Quote
davedog wrote:
saunders8 wrote:

I'm not sure your employer would like you saying that, especially because it is not accurate. Most of the problems associated with Iron Horse bikes stem from the fact that the techs (you) do not set them up properly. Iron Horse just like all bikes are a sum of their parts, and with IH you do tend to get a better setup for $ than with most bikes. If you go and buy a $300 Trek and try and do any real riding it will fall apart too. I also work for SC and in my store last year we had 2 sunday models, a 7Point, an MKIII as well as the single pivot Kumicho,Ojiki,Aniki and assorted Warrior frames. None of these I would consider crap. I have a feeling that if you are having problems with IH bikes it is because you are a crappy tech and send bikes out tuned improperly.

+1

I also work for SC.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013763
Mobile Version of Website