Troy lee d3 vs fox rampage pro

PB Forum :: Downhill
Troy lee d3 vs fox rampage pro
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 1, 2014 at 11:48 Quote
Right a bit of background first I bought a Troy lee D3 helmet that I've had for a season now its been a fantastic lid and in all honesty I wouldn't have changed it but the rampage pro came up at a great price on closeout and as my d3 is composite I took the option to upgrade to a carbon lid. Now while I was deciding if it was worth changing lids I noticed there wasn't much info on the new fox lid and even less info comparing the two so I thought I would write a small review as I have both helmets here currently please be kind I'm not a journo or anything I just thought it may help others out who are looking for info as I was.My D3 has served me well so hopefully I can give an unbiased opinion of the two lids I will try my best anyway. At the moment I haven't rode in the rampage as my new bike is still in the build stage so I will update with how they are both on the trail when I have some time riding with the rampage on. If there is any info I have got wrong or missed please let me know.

The two lids I have are the Troy Lee D3 composite Medusa colour way size Large and the Fox Rampage Pro Yellow and black colour-way size Large.

photo

photo

photo

photo

Helmet bags and extras and spares

Ok out of the box both helmets come with a helmet bag there of similar quality the troy lee d3 bag is slightly larger so has that little bit more space inside should you wish to carry any other gear with your helmet. The troy lee also comes with a spare peak/visor included the fox is just helmet only. Now I can only speak for the uk here but looking on the net the spares for the troy lee d3 are a lot easier to come by with plenty of outlets selling visors,pad kits,new liners and fixings. Fox dont seem to have any of this setup which maybe because its a new helmet design compared to the d3 which has been around a few years now. I have managed to find a place that can source me a new visor plus fixings but they are special order items and take a couple of weeks to get to you.This may be an issue if you have a full season of racing coming up with just the one lid.

Helmet Quality

Comparing both the d3 and the rampage pro the helmets are both an excellent quality lid I wouldn't say either lid wins in this regard the padding and fittings on both helmets are top notch. Both helmets feature plenty of vents which are mesh lined. Both liners are completely removable for ease of cleaning.

Helmet size and fitment

Troy lee d3

The d3 I have is a size large and I found the measurements troy lee gave on there website to be spot on the helmet is comfortable and well vented, if I have any slight gripe it is that the liner on the d3 does have a slight pressure point at the top of the forehead I have been told the liner can be modified to combat this and give a better fit but I have not done this so far.The d3 can be altered in size to achieve a better fit should you be between sizes of helmets as depending on the size the helmets share the same size eps so for example a large can be converted to a medium with an extra padding kit.

Fox Rampage Pro

The rampage pro is also a size large and I found the sizing of these two lids very similar. When you put the rampage on the first thing you will notice is how tight the cheek pads are I think this is to do with the profile of the helmet around this area I have been told that this will ease through use of the helmet and as the pads settle. As far as I am aware the rampage has unique eps sizes so you cannot buy padding to tune the fit. This wasn't an issue for me but it may be an issue if you are in between sizes. I also found that even standing with the rampage on I could feel the air flowing around my head this could be because the rampage has more vents than the d3 (d3 has 14 vents rampage has 17). I will find out for certain on my first ride and will update this review when I have put some time in with the new lid.I do feel that when the pads have settled on this helmet the rampage will be more comfortable than the d3.

Safety

As far as I am aware both of these helmets meet the same safety standard (ASTM1952) so no issues there the troy lee does have the pad removal system to ease the removal of your helmet should you be unfortunate enough to suffer a neck or spine injury while on the trail the rampage does not have this system. Its also a nice feature that the inside of the visor on the d3 has an area for you to write down your emergency details although mine did tend to get covered in mud while riding. The profile of the back of the rampage is a lot lower than the d3 and I am not yet sure if this is going to cause an issue with my leatt brace while riding I will of course update when I have tried this later on.

Field of View & Looks

When comparing both of the helmets the first thing I noticed was how much larger and further back the opening on the rampage was this gives you a better FOV than the d3 and to me it also felt a lot more comfortable with my goggles on as I found the d3 did used to pull the goggles from my face slightly. The rampage does have a higher chin piece though and this does obstruct your view a little at times although the greater amount of air you get from the larger front vents is worth the obstruction in my point of view.

As far as looks go the fox wins for me hands down I like the simple design on the colour ways and the aggressive looks of the helmet I think fox got it very right with this lid.

Conclusion

I will save my final thoughts on this until I have put some ride time on the new fox lid but at the moment its very difficult to choose between these two lids as they are both very evenly matched I would recommend you take a serious look at the rampage pro should you be deciding to replace your d3 they really are a great lid.

I hope this review is useful to someone out there it is of course all just my opinion take it for what it is, both of these helmets are great and in my opinion and you wont be disappointed whichever you choose.

Posted: May 1, 2014 at 13:01 Quote
Looking for a bit of info pal. Does the headliner remove in this helmet. I can get the check pads and the chin strap covers out. But the headliner seams solid.

This is a sweet helmet by the way. I have a 58cm head and this helmet in a medium fits my head shape great. Tried on a d3 in large and a poc in large/xl, the rampage pro carbon smokes them both for comfort.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2014 at 13:23 Quote
Good review. I wish more people posted their product experiences and opinions here. I used a D3 for two seasons and then switched to the Fox last year just to try something new. I think both helmets are high quality but I got the Fox for significantly cheaper, and I like the fit a little better, so I'll be sticking with it for the time being. Can't go wrong with either though.

Goggs1981 wrote:
Looking for a bit of info pal. Does the headliner remove in this helmet. I can get the check pads and the chin strap covers out. But the headliner seams solid.

Yes, the liner snaps out.

Posted: May 2, 2014 at 5:32 Quote
Great wee right up. I recently bought a Fox Rampage Pro and it is a quality lid and very comfortable. Highly recommend.

I intially tried to go for a Troy Lee D3 after spending years on a D2 (which was super comfy) but despite how much I wanted one I found them incredibly uncomfortable. There is a ridge that runs down the back of the helmet that dug into the back of my head and then the front had that pressure point on the forehead. A lot of people have said how comfortable this lid is so must just not be suited to my head shape. I tried going up a size to XL but it was too big so unfortuantely I had to look else where but I am glad I did as the Fox Rampage Pro is a lovely lid.

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 4:23 Quote
Hey i have a pro carbon and managed yo smashed the visor and findinh it very hard to buy a replacement , what site did u source yours from ? Thanks

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 6:08 Quote
richie223 wrote:
Hey i have a pro carbon and managed yo smashed the visor and findinh it very hard to buy a replacement , what site did u source yours from ? Thanks

If I remember rightly evans cycles could source me one from fox directly.

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 6:12 Quote
jonnyhill2011 wrote:
richie223 wrote:

If I remember rightly evans cycles could source me one from fox directly.

Cool thanks

Posted: Sep 12, 2014 at 15:21 Quote
Goggs1981 wrote:

This is a sweet helmet by the way. I have a 58cm head and this helmet in a medium fits my head shape great. Tried on a d3 in large and a poc in large/xl, the rampage pro carbon smokes them both for comfort.

how does the large TLD compare to the medium fox rampage? Do you think that the TLDs run small and the Fox run big? A TLD XL feels a little big on me and the large feels a little small, I'm thinking that a fox rampage large would fit my head perfect, not sure tho.

Posted: Sep 12, 2014 at 23:33 Quote
For my shape of head the large troy lee d3 58-59. Had a nasty pressure point on the forehead area.

The fox rampage pro medium 57-58. Fits tight with no pressure points. How a helmet should fit.

People say that diffrent manufacturers fit diffrent head shapes. Which is kinda true, but I have a troy lee a1 lid i use for trail riding and that helmet is a pardon the pun "a1" fit.

I would try and test both out. Sorry not much help.

Posted: Sep 13, 2014 at 15:51 Quote
Goggs1981 wrote:
For my shape of head the large troy lee d3 58-59. Had a nasty pressure point on the forehead area.

The fox rampage pro medium 57-58. Fits tight with no pressure points. How a helmet should fit.

People say that diffrent manufacturers fit diffrent head shapes. Which is kinda true, but I have a troy lee a1 lid i use for trail riding and that helmet is a pardon the pun "a1" fit.

I would try and test both out. Sorry not much help.

yeah the large D3 doesn't fit me so great, but I'm not sure whether to go medium or large fox rampage, I'm thinking I might order a large and if that is too big than I'll try medium, thoughts?

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 0:35 Quote
I have a large fox v3 carbon motocross helmet in a large 58-59cm. My head circumference is 58cm, maybe a millimetre or two larger (measured it 5 times and took an average).

The large fox v3 carbon was too big. Once the padding gave a bit, especially around the chin area. The helmet rattled around quite a lot. Felt ok but if I had a big wreck the protection might not be there.

From now on ive always liked to be at or around the top end of the helmet sizing for the size. Because helmet padding does compress a bit. A helmet which feels good can feel prity rattly once broke in.

Medium fox pro rampage made sense for me with the above in mind.

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 4:06 Quote
Goggs1981 wrote:
I have a large fox v3 carbon motocross helmet in a large 58-59cm. My head circumference is 58cm, maybe a millimetre or two larger (measured it 5 times and took an average).

The large fox v3 carbon was too big. Once the padding gave a bit, especially around the chin area. The helmet rattled around quite a lot. Felt ok but if I had a big wreck the protection might not be there.

From now on ive always liked to be at or around the top end of the helmet sizing for the size. Because helmet padding does compress a bit. A helmet which feels good can feel prity rattly once broke in.

Medium fox pro rampage made sense for me with the above in mind.

yeah i'm thinking a medium cuz i've had bad experiences with too big of helmets

Posted: Dec 25, 2014 at 14:51 Quote
How does the rampage work with a leatt? The back of the helmet looks low.

Posted: Dec 25, 2014 at 18:03 Quote
x6lil6billy6x wrote:
How does the rampage work with a leatt? The back of the helmet looks low.

my friend has used his with the last model leatt and it was fine, but its all preference, if you have the new leatt it should be perfectly fine.

Posted: Jan 5, 2015 at 7:29 Quote
Just to add to what others have said I cant commend Fox enough for the fit of this lid. Ive had a medium D3 carbon which was snug how I like lids due to the pads compressing over time or out on a sweaty ride. The D3 had awfull pressure points on my forehead and ears. I measure 59cm so should be a large Fox but they feel too big and think they will get 'rattly' over time. Tried a medium and it fits pefeclty, nice and snug with no pressure points. I was sceptical as they look huge but Im very impressed and would rather a lid fit and work than not.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017108
Mobile Version of Website