What psi to weight for rear shock?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What psi to weight for rear shock?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 18, 2014 at 1:44 Quote
Looking to set up rear shock to about 11stone (75kg) anyone know what roughly psi should be in rear shock?

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2014 at 9:03 Quote
What shock is it?

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 at 13:02 Quote
I believe Fox recommends 15%-20% sag for most of their rear air shocks. Here's the online manual for one of their new shocks, but the steps are the same for setting up sag: http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=68#settingshockairpressure. The exact PSI you end up with depends on how plush/firm you want the rear shock to be, but a good starting point is 1 psi for 1 lbs in weight of the rider (including riding gear). Then just add/remove air to your liking.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2014 at 17:37 Quote
foobajoob wrote:
a good starting point is 1 psi for 1 lbs in weight of the rider (including riding gear).

Well that's not necessarily true and that is why I was asking which model we were talking about. For Float shocks (without a cartridge or spring), that would be the case. However, that rule could be quite damaging for a spring equipped shock. For example, if a 220 pound rider puts 220 psi in a DHX RC4, he would do permanent damage and void the warranty. RC4s are "air assisted" and require less pressure than a true air shock. The necessary range for an RC4 is 125 - 200psi.

At 75kg (165lbs) you will probably want 130ish in an RC4. 165psi would feel pretty harsh. However if it's a float, then 165psi would be an appropriate starting place.

As mentioned above, the best way to determine appropriate psi is measure sag. 15-25% is appropriate.

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 at 23:25 Quote
Its spring equipped, il try 130psi see how i get on then thanks

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010069
Mobile Version of Website