Opinions wanted: Whistler opening week

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Opinions wanted: Whistler opening week
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 at 5:37 Quote
First, let me say to the locals that after a few trips, BC has captured my heart like no place I've ever been. So thanks for making it awesome. I'm planning a Whistler trip for this summer, but I can only come during the last week of May. Any thoughts on the value of going opening week? I know upper mountain will be closed. I come there pretty much for the jump trails (A-line, dirt merchant). (Don't hate, all we have is gnar/tech here in Phoenix!). Would you drive/fly 1600 miles to ride there that early in the season? Any thoughts are appreciated.

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 at 10:49 Quote
You're from phoenix, do you melt in the rain? Because there is a chance it will be cold and raining, we always get a cold/wet streak in May or June. Riding in the wet can be awesome, but I grew up around here and am used to it I know lots of people hate rain and won't go outside unless the skys blue haha. If you don't mind putting a cut up tube on your fork and wearing a jacket, or you get lucky and get some drier weather then go for it. If you get tired of the lower trails then it's a good chance to explore the millions of trails outside of the park.

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 at 11:31 Quote
I have gone opening weekend twice and it was good both times. Whistler drains so well that a little mud and rain shouldn't keep you away IMO. One thing to consider though is that not all of the trails are always open early season and Dirt Merch is usually the last lower mountain trail to open. A-Line, B-Line, and Crank it up are almost guaranteed open but the others depend on the season. This last year almost everything was open but as I understand it that was very unusual.

Posted: Jan 29, 2014 at 18:28 Quote
OrionW wrote:
I have gone opening weekend twice and it was good both times. Whistler drains so well that a little mud and rain shouldn't keep you away IMO. One thing to consider though is that not all of the trails are always open early season and Dirt Merch is usually the last lower mountain trail to open. A-Line, B-Line, and Crank it up are almost guaranteed open but the others depend on the season. This last year almost everything was open but as I understand it that was very unusual.

It might happen this year too. We've had a pretty SHITTY winter for the last month. And I like skiing but right now, i'm praying for no more snow until the end. Squamish has been wonderful right now. So I wouldn't be suprised if we had an awesome opening week-end like last year. So I say, definitly do the trip, but don't expect to do 8 descents in the whole, you might get lucky if you do 4 or 5 since it's always pretty busy opening week-end.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010262
Mobile Version of Website