Shimano Saint m810 vs Shimano Zee m640 Brakes on 2014 Giant Glory

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shimano Saint m810 vs Shimano Zee m640 Brakes on 2014 Giant Glory
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 4, 2014 at 13:17 Quote
I am looking to replace the Elixer 5's that came on my Glory. Now the question comes down to which brake. The Shimano Saint m810 or the Shimano Zee m640. They seem like they are very similar. Am I going to need to use the free stroke setting? or the tool free lever adjustment. Another Question I have is how well would these brakes work with the avid rotors that I have on the bike now? They are new only got one day of riding on them. or should i just use new Shimano rotors. I am willing to spend some money but don't want to go crazy.

Posted: Jan 4, 2014 at 14:26 Quote
I don't have experience with the Saints I do however have Zee brakes on my Trance (I know overkill but got them at $119 a set new). They have loads of stopping power, great modulation, and look pretty good to boot. No free stroke or tool free reach features. When I had XTs the free stroke is barely noticeable. You play with it some at first but really makes no difference so basically you leave it alone.
I set the reach on the lever and haven't meddled with it since so you may not miss the tool free reach adjuster.

You will be fine with Avid rotors. The only real difference you may feel is with Icetech's. the Saints are really nice brakes but come with a heftier price tag. In the end, way you will be happy with either.

Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 13:44 Quote
Do the zee's have the same stopping power as the Saints? Also the Saints have a bolt and a retaining pin to hold the pads in. The Zee's have a cotter pin to hold the pads. Has anyone had that cotter pin fall out? can i get the bolt that comes with the Saints and instal it on the zee's?

Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 16:38 Quote
I have m820 saints the free stroke adjustment does nothing I like tool free lever adjustment and I was willing to pay for it. Whether its worth the additional money is up to you.
I feel you will be happier with either choice over your avids I havent ever owned a pair I llikd and havent encountered anyone with an avid brake with a better lever feel than my saints

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 17:59 Quote
robsmustang wrote:
Do the zee's have the same stopping power as the Saints? Also the Saints have a bolt and a retaining pin to hold the pads in. The Zee's have a cotter pin to hold the pads. Has anyone had that cotter pin fall out? can i get the bolt that comes with the Saints and instal it on the zee's?
I have the M810 saints now, it's just a wee bit more comfortable to take out the screw holding pads, compared to the pin. However, the pin is absolutely reliable either, I think it's more likely the screw would come loose than the pin falling out (assuming you properly bend its end, of courseSmile )

The only letdown on 810 saints is having to load new pads from the bottom, but I never found it a big deal really.

Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 19:17 Quote
I went from the zees to the m820s (because I got a wicked deal on the saints) and as far as raw stopping power, they're the same. The biggest difference for me (aside from the adjustments which I don't really use at all) is the modulation. It's a fair bit better than the zees. That being said, the zees are good for modulation. Better than any brake I'd run previously (mostly juicys, codes, elixers, and m800s) the m820s are just spectacular in every way. I didn't like any of the 4 sets of m810s I tried out. I'd take the zees hands down over the m810s.

Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 21:27 Quote
is the modulation adjustable or is it just in the design of the master cylinder?

Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 21:38 Quote
Just the design of the master cylinder. The zees are still good for modulation (better than the m810s) its just the m820s are unreal

Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 21:39 Quote
I should mention, jensonusa has zees on for $129.99 per brake right now and m820s for $179.99 per brake

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 22:52 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
Just the design of the master cylinder. The zees are still good for modulation (better than the m810s) its just the m820s are unreal
Really? I've actually spoken with a few racers, and generally the outcome was the 820s are stronger, but have less modulation, so lighter riders were apparently happier on 810s even.

I've only tried 820s on parking lot, so it's not that much of a test, but they indeed do feel sharper (and strong as hell, while at that).

Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 23:07 Quote
MrDuck wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:
Really? I've actually spoken with a few racers, and generally the outcome was the 820s are stronger, but have less modulation, so lighter riders were apparently happier on 810s even.

I've only tried 820s on parking lot, so it's not that much of a test, but they indeed do feel sharper (and strong as hell, while at that).
I can't speak for lighter riders considering I'm over 240lbs but I know I felt an immediate difference in modulation between my zees and my m820s in Whistler, I rode the two brakesets on back to back days in the same weather on the same trails so I'd say it was probably a good test. I did have a guy tell me the day that I was running the zees that he was looking at trading his m820s for zees and he wasn't a big guy. All I know is that you'll be happy with whatever you go with, as long as it's a current generation Shimano brake haha

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 at 4:57 Quote
I choose zee over saint 810.
The lever feel itself its different.
Zee lever its much better than saint 810 imo.
But if you have the money, go with saint 820. It better than zee, maybe not much in term of power. But the modulation and ease of adjustment is better than zee. Its just the small thing, but you may need it sometimes and somewhere in the middle of trail.
Fyi, in my place, the price difference between zee and saint 820 less than usd 100 per pair.

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 at 10:11 Quote
As I mentioned before, jensonusa.com has the zees for $130 per and the m820s for $180 per

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 at 18:33 Quote
Jenson is sold out of the 820s ;( , but http://www.blueskycycling.com/ has fronts for $180

Posted: Jan 9, 2014 at 9:46 Quote
I think for the extra little bit of money I will go with the Saints m820

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011288
Mobile Version of Website