Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Apr 11, 2014 at 1:58 Quote
I have a 2014 Torque EX medium.. Im 184 cm.. No problem with the size, i could propably go for a Large.. But medium suits me fine so far(only had it one week)

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2014 at 3:52 Quote
bushwacked wrote:

SO, from reading this I'm intrigued by sizing - how big is everyone and what size have they bought? Obviously the above has a large at 185cm. I'm 180cm and have a medium on order.

I think Fabien Barel is the same height as you and uses a large..

as i understand it though i've heard that you can swap the bike back if you dont get on with it so if you find the medium too small swap it for a large...???

Posted: Apr 11, 2014 at 4:49 Quote
Ade5 wrote:
I have a 2014 Torque EX medium.. Im 184 cm.. No problem with the size, i could propably go for a Large.. But medium suits me fine so far(only had it one week)

Yep I'm 183cm with same bike and I feel I could use either Large or Medium, but my preference is a shorter bike for agility in tight stuff, so I have an M.

Posted: Apr 11, 2014 at 5:16 Quote
bushwacked wrote:
SO, from reading this I'm intrigued by sizing - how big is everyone and what size have they bought? Obviously the above has a large at 185cm. I'm 180cm and have a medium on order.

I guess with 180cm you are good with either one. I'm the same height and have an L Strive with 50mm stem and it's perfect (still shorter than my Giant Trance "M" with 80mm stem but they are bikes for different usage) but I think the M Strive would be just as good.

If you compare the geometry with other brand's models from the same category you won't see anything odd with Canyon's sizing. In general I see some push against the direct sale brands in the bike magazines.

Posted: Apr 11, 2014 at 5:27 Quote
bosnianrider wrote:
bushwacked wrote:

I guess with 180cm you are good with either one. I'm the same height and have an L Strive with 50mm stem and it's perfect (still shorter than my Giant Trance "M" with 80mm stem but they are bikes for different usage) but I think the M Strive would be just as good.

If you compare the geometry with other brand's models from the same category you won't see anything odd with Canyon's sizing. In general I see some push against the direct sale brands in the bike magazines.

I have a M Strive and M Spectral and run both of them with a 50mm Renthal stem. The Spectral feels shorter and a little more nimble though......but they are both pretty awesome

Posted: Apr 11, 2014 at 15:03 Quote
I'm 178cm and have a Strive in a small, I love it, it's beyond nimble and as stiff as a girder Big Grin

Posted: Apr 11, 2014 at 16:14 Quote
Im.6ft and have a large spectral the size guide said i should of ordered a medium glad i didnt would of been to small

Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 0:27 Quote
Got it yesterday and spent 2 hours out on the trails messing around on some of the local DH runs and it is shorter than I expected but feels OK so I'm gonna stick with it. It's similar to my mates Stumpy - in fact we compared it and while it felt longer the bars and the seat are in the same place which is weird. - but I've put that down to the seat - which is very different shape to the SDG Belair on my other bikes and seems to push you forward on the saddle. Swapped the seat over and going out in a bit to try it.

Otherwise - jesus is it fast. Not sure if it is the wheelsize, the weight or something else but up and downhill it was speeding around. Even on the more technical DH runs it seemed to be loads faster. In fact was running strava and got my second fastest time on a tech run and knew there was more in it.

Edit - Swapped the saddle over and blasted round my local trails with the dog this morning. Feels the nuts now. Loving it.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 12:08 Quote
bushwacked wrote:
Got it yesterday and spent 2 hours out on the trails messing around on some of the local DH runs and it is shorter than I expected but feels OK so I'm gonna stick with it....................

Great to hear fella... Enjoy it!

Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 12:21 Quote
bushwacked wrote:
Got it yesterday and spent 2 hours out on the trails messing around on some of the local DH runs and it is shorter than I expected but feels OK so I'm gonna stick with it. It's similar to my mates Stumpy - in fact we compared it and while it felt longer the bars and the seat are in the same place which is weird. - but I've put that down to the seat - which is very different shape to the SDG Belair on my other bikes and seems to push you forward on the saddle. Swapped the seat over and going out in a bit to try it.

Otherwise - jesus is it fast. Not sure if it is the wheelsize, the weight or something else but up and downhill it was speeding around. Even on the more technical DH runs it seemed to be loads faster. In fact was running strava and got my second fastest time on a tech run and knew there was more in it.

Edit - Swapped the saddle over and blasted round my local trails with the dog this morning. Feels the nuts now. Loving it.

I have now heard a number of right ups on the Spectral....everyone seems to love it and has the same feedback that I had. They seem to have got it right

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 13:03 Quote
ok guys, now what's up with this?
http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1604139?in=set

160mm spectral?
Where is the second fox remote going?

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 22:39 Quote
JonGales wrote:

160mm spectral?

That prototype camo tape must be doing it's job well.... the frame looks unchanged!

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that it would be a replacement for the Strive.... Whether it keeps it's name or not? They use the same frame design for the new Nerve, So doing the same for the Strive would mean less tooling changes in production i guess?. And on top of that, given the warm reception (and sell-out sales) of the current Spectral they are perhaps trying to give that into the Strive model & Market as well. I know looks are personal and subjective but the Spectral/Nerve frame design does look more modern so would contribute to more sales.....???
Also it may be an addition to the spectral line up and curing the only critique levied against the Spectral from the media - Too compact frame....
It is no secret that Fabian Barel was running a 160mm up front on the Spectral, so maybe just balancing out the bike? But from what i noticed he mostly rode a Strive in last years EWS, With Joe Barnes sticking to the Spectral.
2nd remote? remote lockout for the shock?

And is it me (or the photo) or does the chain ring look a little less "round" than ideal....?

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 at 0:01 Quote
SillyTorque wrote:
JonGales wrote:

160mm spectral?

That prototype camo tape must be doing it's job well.... the frame looks unchanged!

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that it would be a replacement for the Strive.... Whether it keeps it's name or not? They use the same frame design for the new Nerve, So doing the same for the Strive would mean less tooling changes in production i guess?. And on top of that, given the warm reception (and sell-out sales) of the current Spectral they are perhaps trying to give that into the Strive model & Market as well. I know looks are personal and subjective but the Spectral/Nerve frame design does look more modern so would contribute to more sales.....???
Also it may be an addition to the spectral line up and curing the only critique levied against the Spectral from the media - Too compact frame....
It is no secret that Fabian Barel was running a 160mm up front on the Spectral, so maybe just balancing out the bike? But from what i noticed he mostly rode a Strive in last years EWS, With Joe Barnes sticking to the Spectral.

And is it me (or the photo) or does the chain ring look a little less "round" than ideal....?

Its certainly interesting....the frame does appear to say 160 on it :-)

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 at 1:18 Quote
SillyTorque wrote:
JonGales wrote:

160mm spectral?

Sounds logical to me, replacing the Strive with a 160mm version of the Spectral.
But there must be something going on with that shock, if you look closely there is a new fox remote on the right side that runs over the down-tube into the shock, but the 'old' fox remote on the left runs into the frame, and I have no idea where it is supposed to come out...

And with the chainring you could also be right, interesting enough that he is running a chainguide on the bottom so it can't be a standart XX1 chainring...
Oval chainrings have been used in road-riding for years and I know a couple of dudes using them on the mtb

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 at 2:01 Quote
JonGales wrote:
SillyTorque wrote:
JonGales wrote:

160mm spectral?

Sounds logical to me, replacing the Strive with a 160mm version of the Spectral.
But there must be something going on with that shock, if you look closely there is a new fox remote on the right side that runs over the down-tube into the shock, but the 'old' fox remote on the left runs into the frame, and I have no idea where it is supposed to come out...

And with the chainring you could also be right, interesting enough that he is running a chainguide on the bottom so it can't be a standart XX1 chainring...
Oval chainrings have been used in road-riding for years and I know a couple of dudes using them on the mtb

I think it is the Strive replacement as if you compare the Spectral with the Nerve (as suggested already) then this is a likely next step.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018713
Mobile Version of Website