10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 29, 2013 at 8:57 Quote
So I've started hunting down rumors of people modding/hacking their 10 speed clutch derailleurs to work with 9 speed drivetrains. Of course, a solution MUST exist (since all that is needed is an adjustment to the "pull length" given which each click of the shifter) and thankfully, it seems like people are well on their way to finding it.

I, like many others out there, absolutely HATE it when companies force us into buying new products that have been unnecessarily "tweaked" to avoid backward compatability. Or similarly, when a company leaves a specific product off the market (ie. 9 speed clutch equipped derailleurs) in order to force us to "upgrade" to newer, more expensive components.

Anyways...I'm sure a thread on this already exists somewhere, but with a few searches I really wasn't able to find much concrete info (aside from what I have provided the links and images for below) and I figured it was a topic that was worthy of some more information for the masses! Any more input/information/links would be much appreciated.

Anyways...post up your links and feedback!

Option 1 (not really confirmed yet, by the sounds of it):

MTBR discussion on 9 speed SRAM shifter with 10 speed ZEE
http://forums.mtbr.com/shimano/xt-shadow-plus-rear-derailleur-available-when-796889-2.html

More discussion on option 1 and 2 combined. Apparently the SRAM needs a spacer combined with it?
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/9-speed-sram-shifter-with-a-shimano-10-speed-clutch-rear-mech-will-it-work

Option 2 (seems more viable):

Jwick's mod pictures:
Shadow plus mod. 9spd sram shifter and drivetrain. 1 4 washer with slot for cable cut down to .236
Shadow plus mod. 9spd sram shifter and drivetrain. 1 4 washer with slot for cable cut down to .236

A more refined version:
9 speed shadow plus mod shim

Anybody know of a company that is producing these "shims" yet? Please post links, information, ideas, or reviews of how well this fix works!

Posted: May 29, 2013 at 19:26 Quote
I have run this with and without the spacer and find it works slightly better with the spacer. With the spacer I can get 1-7 perfect with a very slight hesitation to 8 and a decent hesitation to 9. This is zee with x7 shifter.

Posted: May 29, 2013 at 23:57 Quote
I don't see the point of this 6mm stack mod, I'm running an X0 9spd shifter with a Zee derailleur, and I've got all 9 speeds perfectly aligned! No miss, no slip, ...

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 10:44 Quote
I'm running the Zee with a Saint 9 speed shifter on a 6 speed casette, no issuse either.

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 at 18:16 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
I don't see the point of this 6mm stack mod, I'm running an X0 9spd shifter with a Zee derailleur, and I've got all 9 speeds perfectly aligned! No miss, no slip, ...

Same here, just installed xt dynasys 10sp on existing 9 sp drivetrain with x0 shifters. Works perfect! Finally can mix Shimano and Sram rear.

Posted: Jun 17, 2013 at 14:16 Quote
I don't know of companies pumping out the spacers as it was kind of a DIY mod and I don't feel like the rest of the bike world considers it as functional, or profitable modification. Just don't see anyone really making any huge profit off of building shims. I was able to hack my way through one with a hacksaw, file and a hand drill.

From my personal experience, without the spacer I was able to shift into every gear, however, the pull was just a bit off so the chain would skip every now and then. I shaped a small piece of aluminum as a spacer, fitting and refitting it until things shifted smoothly. Haven't had any issues since.

I am running a Zee Derailleur, with a X9 (9 speed) shifter on a SRAM PowerGlide 970 DH 11-28t Cassette (9 speed).

Shimano Zee 10 speed amp SRAM X9 9 speed mod - Added an aluminum spacer to get a perfect pull ratio. Shifts like a dream now. Just wanted to share as proof that the mod does indeed work.

Shimano Zee 10 speed amp SRAM X9 9 speed mod - The parts Factory washer aluminum spacer and a longer bolt. Have put in 2 good hard days of riding with it and have had no shifting issues yet. Just wanted to share as proof that the mod does indeed work.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2013 at 8:08 Quote
Thanks to this post I now have an 8 speed sram shifter working with a zee 10 speed deraileur! Thanks guys!

Posted: Oct 27, 2013 at 21:04 Quote
anyone using a 10spd SRAM shifter with a ZEE derailleur ???

Posted: Oct 29, 2013 at 9:14 Quote
demon666 wrote:
anyone using a 10spd SRAM shifter with a ZEE derailleur ???

since both shifter and rd are designed for 10sp, I believe it won't work.

Posted: Oct 29, 2013 at 9:19 Quote
I've had good luck running a sram x7 10spd with Zee deraileur. Made a 3 mm spacer for the anchor bolt and runs great. Maybe my shifter is just worn enough to not care or something, but its super snappy with no lag up or down.

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2013 at 10:45 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://narwhaler.com/img/yg/x/pedobear-this-is-relevant-to-my-interests-yGxcxr.jpg

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2013 at 15:56 Quote
Anyone know if a X7 shifter will work with an SLX Shadow+ clutch rear dearailer?
Thanks!

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2013 at 3:45 Quote
larryssman7 wrote:
Anyone know if a X7 shifter will work with an SLX Shadow+ clutch rear dearailer?
Thanks!
If the x7 shifter is 9 speed then yes.

Posted: Dec 28, 2013 at 11:17 Quote
Hi there,

Does this work with an 8 speed sram x7 shifter, have no need for any extra gears just a new rear mech

cheers

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017503
Mobile Version of Website