9- or 10-Speed?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 8:41 Quote
I have a 2012 Ragley Troof with a Domain (160mm), Azonic rims, Conti tires, RF cranks and Renthal single ring, general AM / FR style cockpit, etc...

This is my everything bike, and currently it is single speed, 32t front, 14t rear.
That ain't working in WV. It did in FL, but not anymore.

So my question is this:

9-speed 2013 SRAM X0 gripshift and a 1070 cassette (11-34-ish)with an X0 medium cage derailleur...

OR

10-speed 2012 SRAM X9 trigger and a 1050 casette (12-36 or thereabouts) with an X9 medium cage derailleur...

Just asking personal preferences, seeing if I'm being retarded comparing the two systems, year to year like that.

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 8:51 Quote
10 speed. If you are buying components there is not much point buying top end 9 speed now. When you need to replace anything in a couple of years time it will have to be a budget part. To keep with good quality components you will end up buying a 10 speed group set and binning most of your 9 speed stuff...

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 8:51 Quote
personally I´d choose trigger over grip shift any day all day. also I think 10speed is pretty nice if you are running only 1 chainring. Yeah sure x0 rear mech has some nice looks, but I´d definetely prefer the other option!

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 9:24 Quote
Ok, trigger over grip, 10 over 9 speed, and I guess the only other concern is this;
Does the derailleur cage length really matter that much in a 1x10 setup?

EDIT

Also, which is better to have be the higher-end item if you MUST mix and match series?
Shifter higher, derailleur lower, or vice versa?

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 10:20 Quote
a lot of people say derailleur over shifter, as a lot of bikes come like this from the manufacturer, but personally I prefer a higher quality shifter, as it feels better, and pulls more consistantly

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 10:23 Quote
If you want better feel get a better shifter. if you want longer lasting go better rear mech.

I find X9s develop alot of play in the pivots after a year or so of use the X0 i have no is still solid.

Posted: Nov 21, 2012 at 19:00 Quote
Ok... so this leads to the next decision:

Standard XO

OR

Type-2

So basically, clutch or no?
Ragley Troof, hard trail riding in the Virginias, including Snowshoe. urban and HT freeride.
Is the clutch worth it?

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 21, 2012 at 19:02 Quote
Type 2 without a doubt. On a 1x system it makes a huge difference. And get a short cage if you are 1x as well. And if the extra price scares you, go to X9. I haven't heard of X9 rear derailleurs causing play. X9's are very reliable and arguably the best bang for your buck.

Posted: Nov 21, 2012 at 19:09 Quote
Cool.
I check tons of sites from all over the world, and am a rabid Amazon shopper, so I will always buy for price when it comes to high-end stuff, since it's fairly easy these days to get a good deal if you really try...

I was of the same opinion regarding the clutch, but I wanted a little verification, since I haven't had this bike geared in its lifetime yet.
My 29er hardtail is a standard derailleur, but I don't FR with it at all, so it isn't so much a concern.

I got a Straitline 34t bash ring too, so when this is all set up, I'll give a post worth of pics.

Also, is this:
http://www.amazon.com/MRP-32-36T-Mount-34-9mm-Chainguide/dp/B004JKIST2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2F190LU8K5LZX&coliid=I24RHL778TCD9G

A worthwhile addition to supplant the clutch's chain retention abilities?

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 21, 2012 at 19:10 Quote
With an 11-36 I'd go with a medium cage, not short cage. You will be able to get the chain short enough that it still has a lot of tension at the small cogs, but the longer cage will allow it to shift the larger cogs nice. With a short cage and that big of a cassette, you'll most likely have a little more slack than ideal in the smaller cogs. Plus a medium cage will handle all the suspension moving if you're putting it on a full suspension bike.

EDIT: Sram Type 2 doesn't use a clutch. They use an overly stiff spring. There is a huge difference. Less maintenance with the Type 2 (compared to Shimano's real clutch system), but you have to push it forward and lock it into place to "disable" it.

Posted: Nov 21, 2012 at 19:25 Quote
Ok, I'll look into the chain path charts for this setup with a short- and mid-cage as well...

Yeah, I was looking at the details and you're right, it's not a "clutch" so much as it is a passive-active retention assist.
Or whatever they want to market it as.

This is going on a Ragley Troof, so no suspension to be concerned with.
The only reason I want an 11-36 is that I'm out of shape (compared to my old self...), and I want the speed range plus extra climbing ability... I tried a bike w/ a 32t top end, and it won't be enough on this rig...
Maybe a 12-36 if I can get the 1070 cassette in that range...

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 24, 2012 at 3:11 Quote
I run 10 speed 11/36 rear and 38 single ring up front with a type 2 X0 rear mech M cage works great for me i do struggle on some really steep uphill bits but what does not kill you makes you stronger well thats the idear anyway . 10 speed is great love it never going back to 9

Posted: Nov 24, 2012 at 5:44 Quote
Cool.
I figure I should be good with the 12-36 and the 32t Renthal up front.
I'll take some pics of it as it is now, and then after the drivetrain upgrades as well.

It's too cold to ride trails right now... with these temps there should be snow, but Charleston is in a valley, so no dice.

EDIT: That's f*cking hilarious. I went to push post, I looked outside, and flurries are starting to fall. LOL

Thanks all!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010832
Mobile Version of Website