SNOWBOARDERS, general discussion

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
SNOWBOARDERS, general discussion
Posted: Feb 6, 2017 at 16:46 Quote
Theocr wrote:
guancho-libre wrote:
Theocr wrote:
im going boarding in two weeks, is there anything i should pack other than the normal kit?
Where are you going boarding? What is your normal kit?
going to grindlewald, normal kit is thermals, goggles, helmet, trousers, socks, gloves and jacket
For me if i'm going anywhere further than 30 mins from home I always try and bring a few tools, I know the hills have them sometimes but not always what you need in a pinch or they are all on stands outside and it's not fun replacing a strap in the cold.
Also some spare parts if you have them.
I always pack way more stuff than my friends, and usually never use it so you should probably be ok to just go full tourist mode but it's nice knowing you have back up parts/clothing and such.

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 22:21 Quote
Has much changed in bindings since 2011? I have some 2011 Union Data's and was wondering if I should upgrade to go with a new board or just keep them.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 15:04 Quote
skunkape wrote:
Has much changed in bindings since 2011? I have some 2011 Union Data's and was wondering if I should upgrade to go with a new board or just keep them.

They're probably just fine. Honestly binding tech is pretty much the same. Some strap improvements. Mostly material improvements. As long as you're not beating the hell out of them or they didn't sit in your backyard the last 5 years...

Union runs a mini disk now so there's more feel in the binding... allows board to flex as intended.

Burton does something similar with their channel bindings.

So it really comes down to budget and board. If you're going Burton I'd get some channel specific bindings. If you're going with a board with a 4 pack you'll probably be just fine. I generally get 1 maybe 2 big updates a season... get your bindings next year.

If you have the budget get new bindings. If you don't. Don't.

I'm picking up a new set up next year... board and bindings. This year I did boots, goggles, gloves, base layer and I'll probably do pants and a helmet since I think I damaged mine on sunday.

Posted: Feb 19, 2017 at 1:57 Quote
obee1 wrote:
Yup that all seems logical.
I was thinking you were gonna trip in like, early March. This had me on the car, because you wouldn't want to miss riding lesser known places like castle, kicking horse, pano and fernie- which are fair reasonable driving distances. But mid April Alberta hills would likely have you happiest at sunshine or lake Louise. April is full on rugby season for me so I haven't snowboarded in April in like, 12 years.
What about revelstoke? Revy is great dude. Don't miss.
The jasper train ride is spendy, but it'll be a bucket list check off item that you will remember for a long time.
Kamloops will be fun, and the okanagan drive is great. All of those areas and wineries just so happen to be home to some of the best mtn bike riding you could dream of, so I would strongly suggest renting a bike for a day or two and rip off while your wife does a winery tour. In penticton for example, some of the funnest trails I've ridden will have you ride by a dozen different wineries.
You seem to have a solid itinerary, maybe check out the older riders thread for some locals advice about the okanagan. There's good lads on that thread who live there.

hey, flights booked! Big Grin
still got a few questions so started a thread
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=196982

i'm in the market for a good waterproof shell i can use for both boarding and riding. needs to be light with good venting. any recommendations?

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 12:34 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
skunkape wrote:

They're probably just fine. Honestly binding tech is pretty much the same. Some strap improvements. Mostly material improvements. As long as you're not beating the hell out of them or they didn't sit in your backyard the last 5 years...
*snip*.
Ended up picking up some Union Trrice bindings and a 165w Skunkape, I didn't realize the difference it would make. I feel amazing now, the edge holds so much better and haven't gotten choppy at all at high speeds. Of course I left my boats behind first ride out on the new board and they got taken by someone. I had a pair of Burton rulers in size 13 and really liked them. Nowhere in town has 32 boots in my size but I've only heard good things but empire has ThirtyTwo Tm-Two XLT Jeremy Jones for 20% (and most other 32's) that caught my eye and I can return them but lose out on the return shipping.. Do you think it would be worthwhile to order these? I want something on the stiffer side, but I'm not sure if I want something that stiff?

Thanks for all your help and sorry for all the questions!

Posted: Nov 5, 2017 at 23:08 Quote
Season is coming rapidly. Any new gear? I was looking at the new Burton Step Ins. Looks tempting.

Thoughts?

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2017 at 23:13 Quote
fredro wrote:
Season is coming rapidly. Any new gear? I was looking at the new Burton Step Ins. Looks tempting.

Thoughts?

God no. I had step ins when I started boarding in the 90's. Absolutely horrific. I don't trust any step in design anymore. New design is obviously different. But I need the support that straps give me.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 9:34 Quote
First day on the board Saturday, was so good. 90cms of fresh storm pow.
Rode a No board for the first time, I am hooked.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 9:38 Quote
November 4 pow day
  November 4 pow day

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 at 9:47 Quote
fredro wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah we got a pretty good spread of snow the other day but I'm not ready yet.

As for gear. I put one of my boards on craigslist and some dude from CO wants it. I'm like... man I don't know if I want to ship that damn thing.

For me... I'm looking at picking up some NOW bindings and some sort of Fish. Probably a Burton Fish but possibly a Jones Storm Chaser. Probably hit up a few of the homies and get some new goggles and helmets as well. I took a pretty good slam last year and popped the fit system out of my helmet and the vents stopped working...

That's probably it. Gloves. Socks. The usual.

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 5:40 Quote
I'm getting hyped, I snagged a barely used 2016 demo custom flying V for $120 from one of the mountains in Tahoe.

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 8:07 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I'm getting hyped, I snagged a barely used 2016 demo custom flying V for $120 from one of the mountains in Tahoe.

LOVE those tent sales for demos and year end clearance sales.

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 12:32 Quote
Nobble wrote:

That's cheap as hell man.

I listed my board for like $375. LOL! It's brand freakin new though. Road it twice on deep powder days.

Someone local buys it I'd do 300. LOL!

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 13:00 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Nobble wrote:

That's cheap as hell man.

I listed my board for like $375. LOL! It's brand freakin new though. Road it twice on deep powder days.

Someone local buys it I'd do 300. LOL!
Yeah, I wasn't really looking for a Burton but I swooped the f*ck out of it when I saw the price. Just picked up some 2017 cartels too.

Gotta sell my 2010 custom X now.

Stoked on the graphic too.
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021030
Mobile Version of Website