Cranks ?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Cranks ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 26, 2007 at 18:26 Quote
so i need to get some new 3 pieces, they need to be run with a euro bb and im looking for light stuff, the money part isnt an issue here, well unless its the eastern ti cranks.

so im looking at wombolts, fly's, demolition medials/lt, profile's, and the new macneil cranks look nice too

my question is ive heard lots about the odysseys flys and profiles, and it seems to me that lots of people have run into problems with their wombolts and fly's so im wondering if anyone has used the macneils or the demolitions and could tell me if they are having any problems with them?

Im really leaning towards the medial lt's due to the light weight and the sick green colour.

Posted: Dec 26, 2007 at 18:36 Quote
on bikeguide, pretty much everyone says that the medials snap really easy, but i've never tryed them. just a bit of info for ya.

Posted: Dec 26, 2007 at 18:50 Quote
The Demolition cranks are awesome. Come with a ti spindle and all. Light, and strong as hell.

Posted: Dec 26, 2007 at 21:00 Quote
Eastern stealth's, Profile hollow bite's, redline device's are what I've heard are the best bang for buck cranks. I've never ridden any of these to give personal experience but from what I've heard these seem to be some of th best. And I'm sure there are a few more.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 11:08 Quote
drewfunk wrote:
on bikeguide, pretty much everyone says that the medials snap really easy, but i've never tryed them. just a bit of info for ya.

this is what i was afraid of, it seems that all the new light weight cranks (sub 30 ounces) have had breakage problems. so whats out there around that weight that i should worry the least about?

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 14:36 Quote
wtp royal cranks are cheap on 3ride, 150...

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 16:21 Quote
bradyc wrote:
Eastern stealth's, Profile hollow bite's, redline device's are what I've heard are the best bang for buck cranks. I've never ridden any of these to give personal experience but from what I've heard these seem to be some of th best. And I'm sure there are a few more.

profile don't make hollowbites... primo does.

I myself would pick up a pair of profile race cranks. Proven for about a million years, and with a Ti spindle, come close to the lightest.

I run a pair myself, and love them to death. Probably my most reliable and trusted part on my bike.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 17:25 Quote
I have the Flybikes cranks and i have no problem with them and i run LHD. I've had these for 3 months so far... But Redline have some cheap, light cranks and they are not that bad actually.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 17:31 Quote
I am running Profile race cranks on my MTB and I love them to death. They are super stiff and strong. My friend runs them on his bmx and he has had no problems for the year and a half that he has had them. My brother has Primo hollowbites and they are also a very good choice. They are a solid crank, and the only issue with the is that it runs on a 22 mm spindle, which means that euro bb's bearings are much smaller.

~Mark

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 17:34 Quote
markbatt wrote:
I am running Profile race cranks on my MTB and I love them to death. They are super stiff and strong. My friend runs them on his bmx and he has had no problems for the year and a half that he has had them. My brother has Primo hollowbites and they are also a very good choice. They are a solid crank, and the only issue with the is that it runs on a 22 mm spindle, which means that euro bb's bearings are much smaller.

~Mark

Primo hollowbites are just junk and there a bit on the heavy side (2.762 lbs)

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 17:37 Quote
snoppy647 wrote:
markbatt wrote:

~Mark

I dont mean to be a prick, but would you like to explain why they are junk, or what makes them junk? I have 2 friends with hollowbites and 4 more friends with powerbites and not one if them have had a problem over all of last season.

~Mark

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 17:37 Quote
snoppy647 wrote:
I have the Flybikes cranks and i have no problem with them and i run LHD. I've had these for 3 months so far... But Redline have some cheap, light cranks and they are not that bad actually.

LUCKY!!!

probably about 75% of all flybikes cranks snap at the pedal boss.
I debated getting them, with the "it won't happen to me" mentality, but I thought, that I would always be worrying about breaking them, so I decided other wise.
markbatt wrote:
I dont mean to be a prick, but would you like to explain why they are junk, or what makes them junk? I have 2 friends with hollowbites and 4 more friends with powerbites and not one if them have had a problem over all of last season.

~Mark
I used to have a pair. Infact alot of people around here did. {key word did}

they have a tendency to strip out of teh pedal inserts. since the pedal is threaded into an steel sleeve, which is then threaded into the aluminum crank, over time, and hard riding, tends to loosen and strip this aluminum to steel section.

you can try to tighten it, but that usually ends in the crank stripping even worse.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 17:52 Quote
markbatt wrote:
snoppy647 wrote:
markbatt wrote:

~Mark

~Mark

The hollowbites lasted me a year and a half and the first year i had them, they bent just a bit and last year the pedal insert got stripped and it took more than an hour just to get the one pedal out... Plus they are heavy

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 18:04 Quote
yeah basically

primo cranks = pedal insert fucked!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011313
Mobile Version of Website