Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 19:22 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Boxxer ultimate question. My fork currently has one token installed. I have to add 2 out of 4 clicks HSC to stop it from bottoming out on everything except for big drops and jumps. Would it be better to back off on HSC and adds a token or ride it as is? I'm at 20% sag so don't want to add anymore air

I would add 1 token and leave the settings. If it feels too harsh but you're not bottoming out back off compression til it feels right. If you do a lot of big drops you might want to put in another token.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 1:52 Quote
Compression is better than adding more tokens usually.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 8:13 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:

It does feel great as it is. Doesn't feel harsh at all. I've never had a fork with hsc so unsure if HSC or tokens were better. In my old boxxer WC I had to run 3 tokens but the debonair feels more supportive

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 8:26 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

It does feel great as it is. Doesn't feel harsh at all. I've never had a fork with hsc so unsure if HSC or tokens were better. In my old boxxer WC I had to run 3 tokens but the debonair feels more supportive

I'm fairly certain that for the problem you're discussing adding a token would be the best move. Adding a token would force the volume to ramp up quicker which would help your bottom out problem. Adding HSC would make it harsher earlier in the travel. I would add a token and leave everything else alone. Possibly reducing HSC if possible.

This video from Vorsprung explains HSC vs LSC well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEBNlHXUGdE

This video explains what happens when adding tokens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFiQVWP5Wdo

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
Mitchvg wrote:
21c-x-s wrote:
Thanks for your help guys ill make sure to look into those videos etc

What do you want, how do you ride, do you like how you ride, etc?

I have progressively bought heavier and heavier springs to avoid bottoming out on the single hardest hitting feature I hit, at the hardest I hit it.

When I was running everything super soft, including tyres, it felt like i was riding on pillows. The novelty of that wore off pretty quick though cos constantly diving, soaking and bouncing slowed me down. it was also hard to have the weight on the bike and in turn hard to control the bike.

Stiffer springs suit me cos I like to be able to bunny hop at a few really critical points on my local trail. I just have to put up with the extra bumpiness

I ride sunpeaks all year so lots of tech but also when riding steam shovel I don’t like my rear shock bottoming out on takeoff and landing but I like how I have the control in my rear end when ripping single trail tech.... until I bottom out and start to get bucked... I do feel the bike is slow on flow trails compared to others I’ve ridden and haven’t figured out why yet I have been riding soft tread tires but am switching up compounds this year to see if it makes a difference.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 9:37 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

The great thing is it's an easy switch so try it out and if it doesn't feel right you can easily swap it back.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

I'm fairly certain that for the problem you're discussing adding a token would be the best move. Adding a token would force the volume to ramp up quicker which would help your bottom out problem. Adding HSC would make it harsher earlier in the travel. I would add a token and leave everything else alone. Possibly reducing HSC if possible.

This video from Vorsprung explains HSC vs LSC well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEBNlHXUGdE

This video explains what happens when adding tokens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFiQVWP5Wdo

Thanks for the info. I'll pop a token and see how it goes

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
Whats the purpose of maxxis super tacky vs the 3c compounds?

Is super tacky worth running, for someone who likes to ride dh but isn’t super fast or planning to race? Does it wear out really fast?

Does it help in the rain or something? Just wondering what the pros and cons of it when I was looking for new tires

Thanks

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 10:07 Quote
Super Tacky is an older compound that you can't even get on a 27.5 or 29 tire. Super low durometer that would wear down fast.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 10:40 Quote
3C compounds have 3 different types of rubber to make up the tire. The base (Firmest) under the tread, the middle tread (middle) and side knobs (softest).

They also have dual compound that has a base rubber with the knobs formed out of softer compounds.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 12:50 Quote
I used to run super tacky. They're ok on the front but awful on the rear. Wear out way too fast and the treadblocks rip right off.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
Curious what people are using for upper body protection? Been looking into getting the Leatt back protector because I like the vest idea and it seems to fit well under a jersey.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Boxxer ultimate question. My fork currently has one token installed. I have to add 2 out of 4 clicks HSC to stop it from bottoming out on everything except for big drops and jumps. Would it be better to back off on HSC and adds a token or ride it as is? I'm at 20% sag so don't want to add anymore air

Add more air!!!
I run like 8% sag on my coil Boxxer.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:13 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
Curious what people are using for upper body protection? Been looking into getting the Leatt back protector because I like the vest idea and it seems to fit well under a jersey.

Bought an Evoc protector jacket after I smashed up my shoulder and decided it was probably a good idea to put some padding over it in future if I'm gonna do anything risky. I love it. Best body armour I've ever owned

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:15 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
Whats the purpose of maxxis super tacky vs the 3c compounds?

Is super tacky worth running, for someone who likes to ride dh but isn’t super fast or planning to race? Does it wear out really fast?

Does it help in the rain or something? Just wondering what the pros and cons of it when I was looking for new tires

Thanks

Do soft compound tyres wear out really fast? - Yes
Is it worth it?- Yes

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.038000
Mobile Version of Website