Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 11:39 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Redwolf2 wrote:

Why wouldn’t you rebuild the Totem? Unless you’re just looking for a reason to upgrade.

You probably don’t need a dual crown though
Because parts availability is pretty poor? Because shit wears out? Maybe he wants a stiffer fork with more travel.

People seem to be wearing rose colored glasses looking back at the totem. They where prone to leaking, had numerous air spring problems and had issues with damper durability.

My personal experience with the totem was not good

Exactly my totems leak a lot from both legs .
The thing is i really like the burly look and they are probably bombproof too , but they keep bottoming out , and i cant find a brand new damper so i think i should just get a new fork .

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 15:09 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Because parts availability is pretty poor? Because shit wears out? Maybe he wants a stiffer fork with more travel.

People seem to be wearing rose colored glasses looking back at the totem. They where prone to leaking, had numerous air spring problems and had issues with damper durability.

The thing is i really like the burly look and they are probably bombproof too , but they keep bottoming out , and i cant find a brand new damper so i think i should just get a new fork .

What's your budget? I think a fox 38 would be a good choice. I'm assuming you have 26". 27.5 forks work fine with 26

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

What's your budget? I think a fox 38 would be a good choice. I'm assuming you have 26". 27.5 forks work fine with 26
Hahaha , no way , my budget is 500 max . Im looking for a used fork . thanks.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 17:32 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:

Sounds like you should just grab a 40 or boxxer from a nice pinkbiker!

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 18:04 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:

You can get an aftermarket damper like an avalanche damper for the totem, it will seriously increase performance compared to the stock damper. But if you’re looking to change to a double crown anyway then going for a used boxer or 40 is probably the way to go, as long as you get a boxxer with a charger damper the performance will be better than the totem with either the mission or motion control damper.

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 19:00 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:

Used 36 then. Would be close in stiffness to a totem. I wouldn't go with a dual crown if your frame is designed for 180mm

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 19:05 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Used 36 then. Would be close in stiffness to a totem. I wouldn't go with a dual crown if your frame is designed for 180mm

My frame is designed for 200 as the frame it self has 200 of travel .

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 19:06 Quote
theweaz wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

You can get an aftermarket damper like an avalanche damper for the totem, it will seriously increase performance compared to the stock damper. But if you’re looking to change to a double crown anyway then going for a used boxer or 40 is probably the way to go, as long as you get a boxxer with a charger damper the performance will be better than the totem with either the mission or motion control damper.
That sounds nice , but how much would it cost , and i would i be able to get it in europe ?

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 19:12 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:

Ok then a coil 40, final answer lol. I had a 2013 40 with coil and it was the best fork I've ever ridden. Way smoother than my 2019 boxxer WC.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 19:15 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Ok then a coil 40, final answer lol. I had a 2013 40 with coil and it was the best fork I've ever ridden. Way smoother than my 2019 boxxer WC.

Thanks a lot , that migh be what i go for , just need to find a good deal .

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 21:20 Quote
I weigh about 230 all geared up. Does anyone have a suggestion on what spring weight I should be running? On a 2016 glory advanced 0

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 22:59 Quote
Austinbelarde wrote:
I weigh about 230 all geared up. Does anyone have a suggestion on what spring weight I should be running? On a 2016 glory advanced 0

Google "spring calculator," man tup

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 0:05 Quote
Hi with all the lower longer slacker trend is dh should still be ridden shorter than trail/am bikes? I'm 5'7 looking at a pivot Phoenix frame in small woth a 400mm reach I'm falling in recommended size by pivot but now commencal furious have their 2020 reach at 465mm what is best? Shorter? Longer?
Looking mostly for jump trails, with a few tech stuff here an there but no racing at all.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 2:07 Quote
ybsurf wrote:
Hi with all the lower longer slacker trend is dh should still be ridden shorter than trail/am bikes? I'm 5'7 looking at a pivot Phoenix frame in small woth a 400mm reach I'm falling in recommended size by pivot but now commencal furious have their 2020 reach at 465mm what is best? Shorter? Longer?
Looking mostly for jump trails, with a few tech stuff here an there but no racing at all.
Go sit on a few bikes and see what feels good. Generally longer will be more stable. But there will be a point where you are too stretched out.

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:49 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
ybsurf wrote:
Go sit on a few bikes and see what feels good. Generally longer will be more stable. But there will be a point where you are too stretched out.

IME you can ride a frame that's too long without much consequence, but you can't ride a frame that's too short without finding its limitations. At 5'11 most frames in my "recommended" size are in the 470mm - 490mm range lately. So I'm thinking at 5'7" the 440mm - 465mm range would be acceptable, possibly even ideal.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029386
Mobile Version of Website