i have, theyre for lazy shits, just my opinion

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 3:59 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
THE-GUNT wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
booo ebikes
I’m guessing you never rode one ?

i am against younger riders getting them but holy shit are they fun, allows you to really hone your descending skills as you can do 10x more laps than with a normal bike. great for getting new people in the sport and growing the industry! also allows people with dissabilities to ride. there are no negatives to eeb's other than the price (which is understandable) and bad lazy habits.

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 5:37 Quote
feathers54 wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
THE-GUNT wrote:

i am against younger riders getting them but holy shit are they fun, allows you to really hone your descending skills as you can do 10x more laps than with a normal bike. great for getting new people in the sport and growing the industry! also allows people with dissabilities to ride. there are no negatives to eeb's other than the price (which is understandable) and bad lazy habits.

Did you notice the extra weight on descents at all? Always thought that would be the downside of them.

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 5:53 Quote
I did. We took some out for trail recon a while back. They take some time getting used to the power boost. But going up roads for trail building access perhaps with a saw on your back. Unquestionably awesome.

Going down definitely would be sketchy on anything more than blue trails. A simple bunny hop over a downed tree was a bitch.

But while they do have benefits, not a bike replacement for me.

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 7:12 Quote
Problem is that most people i see on a e-bike are just throttling up the hills without much effort wich is gonna ruin your shape if you don't do something else to maintain it.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 7:33 Quote
ColinD wrote:
Problem is that most people i see on a e-bike are just throttling up the hills without much effort wich is gonna ruin your shape if you don't do something else to maintain it.

They don’t have a throttle, still pedal power, just easier. But that’s the point. It’s easier, so you can go much farther than you normally would, so it’s still a workout. Plus downhill is a workout on a regular MTB, so it’s more of a workout on a heavier ebike. My heart rate gets just as high on knarly tech DH as it does on climbs. And then there’s self shuttling with an ebike, how cool is that. I don’t have an ebike, but I have tried one. I have a riding buddy that can barely walk because his knees are so jacked up, but he can still ride his ebike. Some day when I’m a little older, (I’m already old, but not old enough) I’ll get one so I can keep riding. Maybe sooner if I can afford it.

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 7:49 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:
feathers54 wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:

Did you notice the extra weight on descents at all? Always thought that would be the downside of them.

u notice the weight in the air but only if your tryna style it up, otherwise it just feels super stable. if you have your technique down then bunny hopping and placing the bike really isnt that much extra work. roud corners though ebikes have un parralelled grip due to the lower centre of gravity, the tyres really hook up and hug the ground. rail on wheels

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
Agree it would just take some getting used to.

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 8:30 Quote
THE-GUNT wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
booo ebikes

As someone that has ridden them, sells them, and does enjoy them; they're not bikes, they're motorcycles. Really torn on seeing them here, I'd almost rather see a two stroke.

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
I personally see ebiking as a different sport. I'm not a hater, it's just for me cycling is a human powered activity, if you have a motor helping you, then it's a different thing. Having said that I can see myself owning one when I get too old to pedal a mountain bike, no denying they are fun.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
I can see myself getting one for trail building as access to trails where I am at, for building, is a real challenge. A friend of mine who builds has an emtb as a second bike and occasionally will ride it with the group when he is still fatigued from previous rides. Doesn't bother anyone in the group and he has zero advantage going down the trails.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 11:22 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:
feathers54 wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:

extra weight is definitely detrimental. i think the only real use for ebikes is exploring, sure you can climb hella fast but descending is just not even fun (at least on the specialized ones ive ridden)

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 18:24 Quote
feathers54 wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
THE-GUNT wrote:

Trail access issues are the only thing which keep me ambiguous about e-bikes. We'll see what happens but I can't see a lot of places wanting to allow them, they'll end up just banning MTB's altogether.

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
slayer2003 wrote:
Finally got the new HD4 built. Here is pic in the new rack too. Did first ride yesterday. The bike held up better than I did. Bike is awesome. Specs as follows:

Frame: 2019 Ibis Mojo HD4 27.5” Back in Black (XL)
Fork: 2020 Fox 36, GRIP2 EVOL 15x110 Boost Factory
Shock: 2019 Fox Float X2
Brakes: Code RSC (200mm front/180mm rear)
Cranks: Race Face Next R, 30T ring/170mm
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Eagle XX1
Shifter: SRAM Eagle XX1 trigger
Cassette: SRAM Eagle XX1 12 speed
Chain: SRAM Eagle X01 12 speed
Pedals: Deity T-Mac
Stem: Industry Nine 35, 40mm
Handlebar: Race Face SixC (cut to 800mm)
Seatpost: Bike Yoke (185mm)
Saddle: SDG Radar
Bottom Bracket: Chris King
Headset: Cane Creek 110
Grips: Race Face Grippler
Bash/Guide: AMg Carbon
Front Tire: Maxxis DHF 2.5 Tubeless
Front Wheel Nox Kitsuma (36mm internal width)
Front Hub: Industry Nine Hydra 15x110mm Boost 32H Front
Rear Tire: Maxxis DHRII 2.4 Tubeless
Rear Wheel: Nox Kitsuma (36mm internal width)
Rear Hub: Industry Nine Hydra 12x148mm Boost 32H

Weight: 31.3#

photo

go shred and Destroy The World Around Me

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 4:52 Quote
sosburn wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:
feathers54 wrote:

extra weight is definitely detrimental. i think the only real use for ebikes is exploring, sure you can climb hella fast but descending is just not even fun (at least on the specialized ones ive ridden)
Should try a Trance E then, those are really fun descending, feels more capable than the Trance 27.5, more like a Reign and it went pretty good over dirt jumps too, whipped surprisingly easily.

Ebikes are just really good fun, we don't have the land issues you guys have over there, they are getting popular enough that I see one almost every ride now, I personally don't have an issue with them, you just get double the riding done in the same amount of time as you would on a normal bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.041802
Mobile Version of Website