Best 7 inch mini DH bike?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Best 7 inch mini DH bike?
Posted: Nov 7, 2011 at 19:11 Quote
specialk1 wrote:
fack was it a 2011 an did the other ones break too haha you've got me nervous now
Yeah they've breaken. Trek covers it amazingly though.

Posted: Nov 7, 2011 at 19:11 Quote
it was the black and blue one

Posted: Nov 13, 2011 at 19:22 Quote
dirtworks911 wrote:
Ripp,

I bet you wont change your travel settings if you get the Transition. The downhiller inside of you is going to be all, "OH BOY! 7 inches feels so much better than 6 inches" and you will keep it locked on the higher travel setting permanently.

There is soo much more to a bike than just travel though. Head tube angle, swing-arm design, etc.

Do me a favor before you end up buying a bike: Go to a Transition shop and ride one and have the sales guy tell you want sets the TR250 apart from all the other bikes in it's "mini DH bike" category. Then do the same thing at a Trek shop.

Make sure that when you go to the Trek shop the sales guy tells you about these things about the Scratch:

ABP (Active braking pivit.)
Full-Floater Linkage.
E2 Tapered Head Tube.

But when it all comes down to it, you should buy the bike that feels best for you.

I Agree, go to a shop and ride both bikes. In fact ride all the bikes you are considering, and maybe even a few other Mini DH bikes that you aren't considering, for instance the Scott Voltage FR. I haven't ridden the TR 250, but it looks sweet. I have ridden an SX Trail and a Scratch back to back, and I preferred the scratch. I felt that it fit my body way better than the SX Trail. The one bike I would love to take for a spin is the Voltage FR though, it has a way low seat tube which makes it much better for jumping, tricks and corners. Plus it has adjustable travel settings for the stock shock to swap it between 180mm and 160mm. On top of that they made it compatible with a smaller rear shock that will put it in the 150mm or 130mm travel range if you prefer. Basically with two sets of suspension you can make the frame either a mini dh bike or a slope style bike, which is cheaper than have two separate bikes.

Just an idea, the best thing you can do for yourself is to ride as many mini dh bikes as you can, since each company has a unique idea of what makes a good mini dh bike, and there own idea of what the "average rider" looks like. Find the bike that fits you the best, and you'll kill it everywhere.

Posted: Nov 13, 2011 at 19:47 Quote
And if you can find one used, a Commencal Furious is a great bike. I just got one used a few months ago, and build it up. It's the lightest 180mm travel bike I have had (though not the lightest bike in this category) and it's got great geometry. In a nutshell it descends and corners way better than my Kona coiler ever did, and it jumps like my dj bike, and the only change I make to the bike is the seat post height.
And on another note, Trek doesn't make the scratch anymore, so you may have to buy a used one there too.

If you have to buy brand new, then I would get the TR 250 or a Scott Voltage. But ultimately, it depends on which one feels the best. If you can't find those two near by, try finding bikes that are made by the same company, chances are if you like a Transition trail bike over a Scott trail bike, you'll like the 250 over the Voltage.

Posted: Nov 14, 2011 at 5:44 Quote
What about the Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon, with a 180mm fork? (SC say this is ok to have a 160-180mm fork)? Head angle would be about 66°. This would keep things fairly light, plus SC say it's their stiffest frame up to now.

Posted: Nov 14, 2011 at 20:01 Quote
Pivot firebird wth a totem

Posted: Nov 14, 2011 at 20:13 Quote
It's all about the trher50.

Posted: Nov 14, 2011 at 20:41 Quote
I'm thinking about picking up a Scott voltage fr just because it is so versatile.

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 at 0:13 Quote
owlie wrote:
Pivot firebird wth a totem

I am hoping to build a Pivot this winter. My vote is for this.

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 at 15:15 Quote
Don't miss out the banshee scythe..it gives you the option to run 7" and 8" travel in freeride or dh geometry

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 at 15:45 Quote
thesleepingforest wrote:
Don't miss out the banshee scythe..it gives you the option to run 7" and 8" travel in freeride or dh geometry
Im heavily considering it for sure

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 12:58 Quote
Knolly Delirium
Canfield The One - 2nd gen.

A couple of other things to look at...

michael

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 19:40 Quote
The sx trail would be your lightest choice, but for capability-the tr250 will keep up with your the full-dh buddies.

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 19:49 Quote
Man, dead thread as AM bikes & the geo are so capable these days. I still think the Knolly Delirium is THE freeride bike. I sure do hope they re release.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031697
Mobile Version of Website