Just bought my first trials bike.

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Just bought my first trials bike.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 9, 2011 at 13:35 Quote
http://topgears.ecrater.com/p/10235418/zhi-z2r-20-trials-v-brake

Bought the bike through someone on this here website. Man I sure am glad I found this place, I almost bought the same type of bike but beat to hell for the same price! Being so desperate to find something to ride.

My question is though, how long are these v-brakes gonna last me until I need hydraulic? Has anyone been able to get pretty far with just v-brakes? This will be the very first real trials bike I've ridden. thank you all very much and good day.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2011 at 15:51 Quote
If im correct then trial bikes have been using v-brakes for years and have only just gone over to hydro. Anyone correct me if I am wrong since trials isnt my most known subject Razz But you should be perfectly fine with just V-Brakes.

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 18:28 Quote
Chalie079 wrote:
If im correct then trial bikes have been using v-brakes for years and have only just gone over to hydro. Anyone correct me if I am wrong since trials isnt my most known subject Razz But you should be perfectly fine with just V-Brakes.

great to hear, thanks for the reply.

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 19:03 Quote
Hydraulics dont indicate quality, infact half the time people spend more time screwing around with hydros trying to make them work.
Hydros are nice since they're light and feel nice when they're set up right.

Vee's just work, they always work, you dont have to worry about temperature changes or leaks. If you buy some avid ultimate vee's, rockman saphire vee pads, jagwire or some good housing and use a good lever. You'll never have problems.

Even shitty vee brakes, and levers can work great if you have good pads, a proper set up and a grinded rim.

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 19:55 Quote
thanks for the nfo. and grinded im guessing helps the pads grab the rim?

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 20:11 Quote
As long as you use proper pads. If you grind your rim and use standard black brake pads, your grind chews the pads down and the pads wear the grind down, double fail.

You need appropriate trials brake pads. They list in the specifications whether or not they work better with a harsh grind or a weaker grind.

Posted: May 10, 2011 at 0:17 Quote
gotcha, thank you sir.

Posted: May 11, 2011 at 19:05 Quote
Do I grind them as soon as I get my bike or do it when they aren't grabbing anymore?

Posted: May 13, 2011 at 8:41 Quote
xniax1 wrote:
Do I grind them as soon as I get my bike or do it when they aren't grabbing anymore?

Grind first.

If you start with a decent grind and a nice trials pad, you'll never look back. The rockman blue pads work great with a ground rim, as to the TNN LGV.

I've also had good luck with the Rockman saphire pads with no grind, though I'm not sure if they are still available.

Posted: May 20, 2011 at 2:59 Quote
One other thing no one has mentioned yet, vee brake parts can be gotten at ANY local bike shop. Not every one carries a maggie bleed kit and waiting a week to order one sucks. Keep that in mind too.

Went from Hyrdo's to Vee's, never looking back.

Posted: May 20, 2011 at 10:14 Quote
good point there sir, thanks.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013398
Mobile Version of Website