Parents wont let me ride DH

PB Forum :: Downhill
Parents wont let me ride DH
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 4:31 Quote
soaringboar wrote:
I didn't read through all the comments, but my advise is to not try and lie to or trick your parents into letting you do it. You're 14, they're gonna be a lot older and wiser and be able to tell that you are just coming up with bullshit reasons to convince them and they aren't going to buy it.

Sit down and talk to them, calmly, without getting too emotional or worked up if they don't agree right away.

Downhill can be dangerous, but you aren't going to be plowing through world cup rock gardens when you first start. It's a fun sport that will increase your riding skill a ton and your strength too. As long as you're smart about it and don't try to skip over the learning curve, you can keep it pretty safe.

Just be honest and rational, maybe even try to strike up a deal. (If you let me do this I'll do the dishes...). IMHO that's always the best way to approach a problem with parents or otherwise.

great advice. you are young my friend, and have many years to take up the sport so dont get to angry about it. your time will come. Smile

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 6:43 Quote
dude killer ride DH on your hardtail its not what you ride it how you ride it and then later you can get a full DH when your better on a bike

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 7:34 Quote
yeah man im already doing that, thanks for the help

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 7:37 Quote
mikedm wrote:
yeah man im already doing that, thanks for the help

oh cools hows it going ??

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 7:39 Quote
its alright ive had a few crashes but nothing serious.. just lost my helmet last week and i got a new one that doesnt fit so I cant ride for the next couple days Frown

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 7:48 Quote
mikedm wrote:
its alright ive had a few crashes but nothing serious.. just lost my helmet last week and i got a new one that doesnt fit so I cant ride for the next couple days Frown

ahh thats so bad what helmet have you ordered

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 7:58 Quote
661 dirt lid but it only comes in unisize and i have a big head so it doesnt fit Frown

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 8:06 Quote
mikedm wrote:
661 dirt lid but it only comes in unisize and i have a big head so it doesnt fit Frown

get a 661 evo carbon like mine there so light weight and really comfy or if you want a piss pot get a tsg

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 10:51 Quote
thanks man will do

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 10:56 Quote
just looked at the tsgs on chain reaction and they dont have my size Frown ill probably get one of the speed stuff helmets they have on chain reaction because they're the cheapest in my size

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 13:58 Quote
Downhill340 wrote:
Thats shit.wait until your 16 then you will be old enough to tell them to F off and get away with it

lol Get kicked out much?

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 15:35 Quote
Only once just grounded shitloads and my parents don't like me hangin around with the only guy I know who mountain bikes cuz apparently he's trouble Rolleyes

Posted: Nov 3, 2012 at 18:43 Quote
Gaz24StEVENs wrote:
soaringboar wrote:
I didn't read through all the comments, but my advise is to not try and lie to or trick your parents into letting you do it. You're 14, they're gonna be a lot older and wiser and be able to tell that you are just coming up with bullshit reasons to convince them and they aren't going to buy it.

Sit down and talk to them, calmly, without getting too emotional or worked up if they don't agree right away.

Downhill can be dangerous, but you aren't going to be plowing through world cup rock gardens when you first start. It's a fun sport that will increase your riding skill a ton and your strength too. As long as you're smart about it and don't try to skip over the learning curve, you can keep it pretty safe.

Just be honest and rational, maybe even try to strike up a deal. (If you let me do this I'll do the dishes...). IMHO that's always the best way to approach a problem with parents or otherwise.

great advice. you are young my friend, and have many years to take up the sport so dont get to angry about it. your time will come. Smile
+1

Posted: Nov 29, 2012 at 4:13 Quote
I feel your pain however my parents always supported me no matter what i wanted to try.. I'm now 39 and a father so i know how it feels to worry about your kids however i will never let my fear hold my kids back from achieving what they want out of life.
I got into dh nearly a year ago at my age.. Haha and i love it but i try to ride and advance in skills to my own ability although i still take risks and go for it..

I think you need to calmly explain to your parents that it doesn't help you achieve your best out of life if they allow "their" fear to hold you back in life. Explain that stopping you from doing a sport that is legal, healthy and fun may cause you to resent them which isn't healthy for you or your parents.
Tactfully explain to them that no one ever knows what may happen to them in life and that fear is not a healthy way to live. You could walk out the front of your house and an out of control car could run you over, you could fall down stairs and get hurt, you could get beat up etc.

Tell them that you would be happy to do a dh rider safe course or similar. Tell them that you'll always ride responsibly and with other people.

Basically you need to talk to them and demonstrate maturity to them.

I started riding dh with my good mate and all i had was an old giant strata with 100mm travel forks, then got a 2011 trek fuel ex6 which i was doing 30 foot jumps on and today i finally bought my dh bike, a specialized 2013 status 2 which I'm hanging out to ride.

So be patient, be cool and stay calm about it and your dream will happen..
good luck mate!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026661
Mobile Version of Website