Bike shops - what would YOU like to see?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Bike shops - what would YOU like to see?
Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 12:01 Quote
Full price parts, but a mechanical warranty for 2 years upon proof of purchase

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 12:17 Quote
James-Carey wrote:

I think you need to speak to the manufacturers there mate...

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 12:32 Quote
carnivorous wrote:
James-Carey wrote:

Ah london,check the other shops in your area and see what they offer and what works and what doesn't,i think stiff in leeds has a pretty chillax atmosphere and great online service if a little rrp.

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 12:36 Quote
carnivorous wrote:
James-Carey wrote:

warranty is courtesy of the manufacturer's distributor but the relationship when claiming warranty is between the customer and the retailer

if the manufacturer / distributor will not honour warranty for genuine claims within the warranty period, the shop is eating that cost...shop will probably dump the brand if this happens on a regular basis

warranty does not cover improper use, bad fitment, wear and tear, crash damage or "just riding along.." (we call this a JRA in the bike industry)

choosing suppliers who offer good warranty backup for genuine problems is a key factor when deciding which brands to stock in your shop

if you get a bad product line with ongoing warranty claims it will destroy your margins, waste lots of mechanic time in the workshop and create badwill from your customers

as an example:

Fox Racing Shox give 1 year on fork and shocks
Rockshox give 2 years on fork and shocks
Marzocchi give 3 years on fork and shocks

from looking at the warranty cover you'd assume (logically) that Fox are worst and Marzocchi are the best?

but Marzocchi had to go to 3 years to regain customer and bike dealer confidence as their reliability and quality control was terrible between 2008-2009

I would take Fox out of these 3 choices as their QC is very tight, however riders will not service their suspension on a regular basis - many Fox shocks have a 'lowers service' period of just 20 hours of riding, but riders will complain when they leave it for a year and their stanchions wear away as the seals are compromised because they never followed the service intervals...

frames?

Specialized is limited lifetime

many "boutique brands" i.e. Intense are only 1 year with limited provision / exclusions for "race use"

Devinci is lifetime warranty Wink

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 12:38 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
carnivorous wrote:
James-Carey wrote:

warranty is courtesy of the manufacturer's distributor but the relationship when claiming warranty is between the customer and the retailer

if the manufacturer / distributor will not honour warranty for genuine claims within the warranty period, the shop is eating that cost...shop will probably dump the brand if this happens on a regular basis

warranty does not cover improper use, bad fitment, wear and tear, crash damage or "just riding along.." (we call this a JRA in the bike industry)

choosing suppliers who offer good warranty backup for genuine problems is a key factor when deciding which brands to stock in your shop

if you get a bad product line with ongoing warranty claims it will destroy your margins, waste lots of mechanic time in the workshop and create badwill from your customers

as an example:

Fox Racing Shox give 1 year on fork and shocks
Rockshox give 2 years on fork and shocks
Marzocchi give 3 years on fork and shocks (they had to go to 3 years for customer confidence as their reliability and quality control was terrible between 2008-2009)

frames?

Specialized is limited lifetime

many "boutique brands" i.e. Intense are only 1 year with limited provision / exclusions for "race use"

Devinci is lifetime warranty Wink

Don't think i will ever use it.Salute

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 12:48 Quote
I've heard that Davinci are bithches about their warranty though.

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 12:51 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I've heard that Davinci are bithches about their warranty though.

not true

I've worked for a Devinci dealer in the UK for years

I've only seen 2 warranties during this entire period

one was for "bad paint" on a Devinci 8-Flat-8 DH suspension bike, frame replaced under warranty within 2 weeks

one for a cracked weld on a Devinci touring bike, the guy had ridden 1000s of miles all over the World in 5 years since buying the bike (from a dealer in Canada), he admitted he had totally overloaded his panier bags and luggage

frame / fork was replaced within 1 week, and they paid us to rebuild his bike with new cabling

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 12:53 Quote
Then they must me very lax on the enforcement of their policy because their warranty says it wont even cover a frame that has had parts changed from stock.

FL
Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 12:55 Quote
dont employe people over your budget this happened to me and now im out of a job (evanscycles). The flat screen idea is great walk in one day browsing and someone catches a glimps of a film that is on maybe end up buying that film. Good prices on parts and good stock of tyres brake pads lubes ect and the sofa's are good for tag along wifes and kids. Workshop price are kinda essential keep your custermors coming back have a fixed labour charge for work carried out and good luck mate Salute

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 13:01 Quote
carnivorous wrote:
James-Carey wrote:

Not what i meant, i meant free servicing, brake bleeding tuning ect for 2 years, and free replacement of bits (you pay for the bits getting replaced, but labor is free)

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 13:03 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
carnivorous wrote:
James-Carey wrote:

Not what i meant, i meant free servicing, brake bleeding tuning ect for 2 years, and free replacement of bits (you pay for the bits getting replaced, but labor is free)

That would only work if the customer bought the parts in the shop.

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 13:09 Quote
marquis wrote:
James-Carey wrote:

That would only work if the customer bought the parts in the shop.

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 13:39 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Then they must me very lax on the enforcement of their policy because their warranty says it wont even cover a frame that has had parts changed from stock.

this is a common notice for many manufacturers

if you look at Specialized, they state their dirt jump bikes (P series) and downhill bikes (Demo series) should not be used for dirt jumping, or downhill riding, respectively

this is to cover legal issues

when you are dealing with them directly, you will have no problem getting warranty replacement for genuine customers

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 13:58 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
Nobble wrote:

if you look at Specialized, they state their dirt jump bikes (P series) and downhill bikes (Demo series) should not be used for dirt jumping, or downhill riding, respectively

when you are dealing with them directly, you will have no problem getting warranty replacement for genuine customers
maybe so, but I do know for a fact that specialized stick to their "frame" warranty only.

"frame" being the front triangle

the lifetime warranty does not apply to the swing arm or any of the linkage.

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 14:21 Quote
Nobble wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:
Nobble wrote:

maybe so, but I do know for a fact that specialized stick to their "frame" warranty only.

"frame" being the front triangle

the lifetime warranty does not apply to the swing arm or any of the linkage.

that is where the "fine detail" of the warranty wording comes into play..you need to read it cover to cover

in reality? a good Specialized dealer would not have any issues getting a swingarm or damaged linkage replaced under warranty for a genuine customers who had not ridden their bike into a tree!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029074
Mobile Version of Website