Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Feb 1, 2023 at 2:46 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
Bitelio wrote:
scotteh wrote:
I was just about to switch a full suspension out for a Honzo ST but now I’m second guessing as I’ve been struggling with hamstring tendinitis that physio has determined is likely due to scar tissue buildup / lack of mobility in my ankle.

So comment section jokes aside, I have a serious question for the hardtailers: do you find them much harder on your ankles than a dually?

I don’t want to make this issue any worse as I can’t ride once it flares up…
Short answer: Yes.
For me it's worst on the lower back. Considering to swap sides and get a FS if it does not get any better.....

Do you do some sort of exercise off the bike?
I had lower back problems for years. Now that I sometimes work on my core strength I only get back pain when I'm not riding tup
I try and do my stretching exercises daily, but sometimes I just forget....
Plenty of exercise with 3 kids, but probably the wrong type of exercise!!!!
Cycling does help though, It stretches the back so it's OK, as long as it's not rough stuff. So I use the commute to work as a bit of therapy. But on rough trails I suffer a wee bit. Having a crash and falling on my coxis on top of a rock in late October did not help. Actually, I've been off the trails since then until this Monday, when I snapped the derailleur hanger!!!! Not a good end/start of the year for me.
Now my back is sore again, but probably because after the (short) ride on Monday I was fixing the van door and I got in some funny positions.....

Posted: Feb 1, 2023 at 6:19 Quote
same here....! I'm always climbing up and down in and out from underneath cars and, at my age, it just kills my body.

I'm in the gym no less than 3x per week, and when I'm not, my lower back get's tighter than Dick's hatband.

LOTS of core work, squats with weights, deadlifts, kettlebell swings, pullups, etc.....

riding helps too...need to ride more Facepalm

Posted: Feb 1, 2023 at 6:57 Quote
nullzwo wrote:
pyromaniac wrote:
Do you do some sort of exercise off the bike?
I had lower back problems for years. Now that I sometimes work on my core strength I only get back pain when I'm not riding tup

same here. thanks to long reach bikes and proper setup, a bike ride is the best way to cure my lower back pain.

I have learned to manage chronic lower back pain with daily core exercises and lots of walking and hiking..My back rarely bothers me when I ride because the bent forward position seems to take pressure off everything.... I believe riding alone really does nothing to strengthen lower back support muscles.It may even weaken the lower back.

Posted: Feb 3, 2023 at 10:02 Quote
I just built up a frame from Bryan at Rip Cycles down in Orange County. Pretty rad frame and I'm digging the BMX vibes this thing has right now! I'll probably switch to a bit more sensible spec down the road, but sure is a fun play bike as is!

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2023 at 11:52 Quote
You could easily fix the cramped feel by going with a shorter rise bar. And then a longer Stem, as that one is pretty short. Yes, you would lose a lot of the BMX feel of it, but it would fit better. tup

Posted: Feb 3, 2023 at 12:38 Quote
Get rid of spacers , minimal rise bar and keep the short stem.

Posted: Feb 3, 2023 at 13:16 Quote
Take off the chain guide and get a longer stem!

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2023 at 15:13 Quote
how’s everyone feeling about the mass udh adoption with their steel bikes?? i got a fresh frame incoming and it doesn’t use a udh. wondering if more steel frame mfgs will find a useable udh dropout

Posted: Feb 3, 2023 at 16:20 Quote
Errrrr uhhhh whats udh ?

Posted: Feb 3, 2023 at 17:13 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Errrrr uhhhh whats udh ?
Something to do with sram but not completely sure. universal dureailuer hanger ??? , I cant spell that word.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2023 at 17:18 Quote
Yeah, basically an open source derailleur hanger system that is “universal” so the need for 9000 variations of hangers. But also a way for SRAM to build a sturdy new derailleur.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2023 at 18:51 Quote
it’s the new sram derailleur hanger that is gonna be necessary for the new group set utilized for direct mount.

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 4:14 Quote
jubs17 wrote:
You could easily fix the cramped feel by going with a shorter rise bar. And then a longer Stem, as that one is pretty short. Yes, you would lose a lot of the BMX feel of it, but it would fit better. tup

Makes sense. Ya I really like the few of a higher stack, but might not be able to pull it off with this setup. Am I correct that running it as a mullet would reduce the effective reach as well?

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 5:20 Quote
Ksquared13 wrote:
jubs17 wrote:

Makes sense. Ya I really like the few of a higher stack, but might not be able to pull it off with this setup. Am I correct that running it as a mullet would reduce the effective reach as well?

Yup. Smaller rear wheel rotates frame round the front axle effectively, slackening the angles and shortening the reach.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021779
Mobile Version of Website