Changing from 2 cogs to 1 help and parts

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Changing from 2 cogs to 1 help and parts
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 at 21:05 Quote
Okay, so I was just wondering if I want to change my front cogs how would I do that? Do i need new cranks to fit the new cog? My front cogs are either too small or too big. I want something in the middle. Thanks! By the way, my bike is used for dh, fr, and dj

Posted: Oct 4, 2010 at 19:39 Quote
The first thing you need to do is find out what bolt pattern your cranks are (how many bolts, and the BCD (bolt circle diameter)). The most common at the moment is 4 bolt 104 BCD. The next is probably 5 bolt 110 BCD.

Once you know the bolt pattern of your cranks, you just need to buy a chainring with the number of teeth you want. Note that there are singlespeed specific chainrings that are made of steel or thicker aluminum that last a lot longer than 'normal' chainrings. They also don't have shifting ramps.

The next step is to take your chainrings off and bolt the new one to your crank. This may sound simple but sometimes it isn't. The problem is that you have two rings bolted through the same hole. If you only want to bolt one chainring on, you may find the crank bolts are too long. You may need some shorter crank bolts.

Bolt the single chainring to the same place where the MIDDLE chainring was - this will make sure you have a good chainline (how it lines up with the rear cogs as the derailler moves across all the gears).

If you are only running one chain ring, I suggest you run a chain device to stop your chain from falling off. At the moment, the front derailler will stop your chain from going too far, and merely pedalling will get it back in place most of the time. Without a chain device, when your chain comes off it will REALLY come off.

If you want to run a chain device, send a message to Pinkbike user 'philw86' - he is Phil that works at E13. He has a neat, very light, XC chain device that is very simple and pretty inexpensive as chain devices go. Let him know the year, brand and model of bike. He will know the range of chain devices and bashguards etc that will fit.

You could also bolt a bashring on where your big chainring is. Phil can advise you on that too.

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 at 20:31 Quote
Okay thanks. But I don't have a middle chain ring. Which one should I line up with?And also what do you mean by chain device?? Chain guide?
iamamodel wrote:
The first thing you need to do is find out what bolt pattern your cranks are (how many bolts, and the BCD (bolt circle diameter)). The most common at the moment is 4 bolt 104 BCD. The next is probably 5 bolt 110 BCD.

Once you know the bolt pattern of your cranks, you just need to buy a chainring with the number of teeth you want. Note that there are singlespeed specific chainrings that are made of steel or thicker aluminum that last a lot longer than 'normal' chainrings. They also don't have shifting ramps.

The next step is to take your chainrings off and bolt the new one to your crank. This may sound simple but sometimes it isn't. The problem is that you have two rings bolted through the same hole. If you only want to bolt one chainring on, you may find the crank bolts are too long. You may need some shorter crank bolts.

Bolt the single chainring to the same place where the MIDDLE chainring was - this will make sure you have a good chainline (how it lines up with the rear cogs as the derailler moves across all the gears).

If you are only running one chain ring, I suggest you run a chain device to stop your chain from falling off. At the moment, the front derailler will stop your chain from going too far, and merely pedalling will get it back in place most of the time. Without a chain device, when your chain comes off it will REALLY come off.

If you want to run a chain device, send a message to Pinkbike user 'philw86' - he is Phil that works at E13. He has a neat, very light, XC chain device that is very simple and pretty inexpensive as chain devices go. Let him know the year, brand and model of bike. He will know the range of chain devices and bashguards etc that will fit.

You could also bolt a bashring on where your big chainring is. Phil can advise you on that too.

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 at 20:31 Quote
Okay thanks. But I don't have a middle chain ring. Which one should I line up with?And also what do you mean by chain device?? Chain guide?
iamamodel wrote:

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 at 4:21 Quote
So what sized chain rings do you have?

What model crankset do you have?

A photo would help heaps.

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 at 6:45 Quote
mtbrider123 wrote:
Okay, so I was just wondering if I want to change my front cogs how would I do that? Do i need new cranks to fit the new cog? My front cogs are either too small or too big. I want something in the middle. Thanks! By the way, my bike is used for dh, fr, and dj

Hey MTB,
As you likely have the stock Truvativ crankset, you're currently running a 24T small ring 36T middle ring, and bashguard on the outer ring position. Since you said both gears are either too short or tall, I would suggest trying out a 32T middle ring.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2007&spid=22018&menuItemId=0

As for Chain Retention Systems, I would strongly suggest looking into our LS1+, SRS+, or LG1+. Your bike uses the ISCG-OLD bolt pattern around the Bottom Bracket shell, but the tabs are offset from the shell edge enough where you can usually make a BB mount ISCG adapter plate work (such as for the LS1+).

I'm a particular fan of the LS1+ for most applications because the DirectMount bashguard (and mounting interface) is extremely strong, you can adjust between a 32T and 40T chainring (for lift days), and the complete guide is fairly inexpensive (MSRP is $89 USD). It currently only comes in ISCG-05...which still works with a majority of frames...the ISCG-OLD version will be along next year.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.e13components.com/images/product/ls1plus_main.jpg
Cheers,
philip @ theHive/e*thirteen

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 at 9:47 Quote
iamamodel wrote:
So what sized chain rings do you have?

What model crankset do you have?

A photo would help heaps.
I have hozzlefelt cranks but I don't know the # of teeth.

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 at 9:49 Quote
philw86 wrote:
mtbrider123 wrote:

Hey MTB,
As you likely have the stock Truvativ crankset, you're currently running a 24T small ring 36T middle ring, and bashguard on the outer ring position. Since you said both gears are either too short or tall, I would suggest trying out a 32T middle ring.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2007&spid=22018&menuItemId=0

As for Chain Retention Systems, I would strongly suggest looking into our LS1+, SRS+, or LG1+. Your bike uses the ISCG-OLD bolt pattern around the Bottom Bracket shell, but the tabs are offset from the shell edge enough where you can usually make a BB mount ISCG adapter plate work (such as for the LS1+).

I'm a particular fan of the LS1+ for most applications because the DirectMount bashguard (and mounting interface) is extremely strong, you can adjust between a 32T and 40T chainring (for lift days), and the complete guide is fairly inexpensive (MSRP is $89 USD). It currently only comes in ISCG-05...which still works with a majority of frames...the ISCG-OLD version will be along next year.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.e13components.com/images/product/ls1plus_main.jpg
Cheers,
Hey thanks bro!!!!

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 at 9:52 Quote
philw86 wrote:
mtbrider123 wrote:

Hey MTB,

Cheers,
What are all those model names for? Chain guides?

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 at 10:01 Quote
mtbrider123 wrote:
philw86 wrote:
mtbrider123 wrote:

Hey MTB,

Cheers,
What are all those model names for? Chain guides?
You can check them all here:
http://www.e13components.com/product_dh.html

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010728
Mobile Version of Website