Powered by Outside

21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 9:35 Quote
bartco wrote:
Just picked up a stumpy evo expert yesterday and was curious what peoples thoughts were on the downtube thickness near the swatbox? I was hesitant to get the bike because a buddy had one and it took one rock strike to that area and cracked (he's been waiting >5 months for a replacement). I've seen others have this same issue and while putting ride wrap on I pulled the downtube protector off to see the thickness. I was pretty shocked when comparing to other areas of this frame (and my other bikes). Picture below.

photo

It's why I cancelled my deposit when the bike arrived. My previous carbon frames seemed to be almost twice as thick. I would take a 1lb penalty or no swat to have a slightly overbuilt frame. Shame because it sounds like a killer bike, maybe I was just overthinking it.

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
splitlit wrote:
bartco wrote:
Just picked up a stumpy evo expert yesterday and was curious what peoples thoughts were on the downtube thickness near the swatbox? I was hesitant to get the bike because a buddy had one and it took one rock strike to that area and cracked (he's been waiting >5 months for a replacement). I've seen others have this same issue and while putting ride wrap on I pulled the downtube protector off to see the thickness. I was pretty shocked when comparing to other areas of this frame (and my other bikes). Picture below.

photo

It's why I cancelled my deposit when the bike arrived. My previous carbon frames seemed to be almost twice as thick. I would take a 1lb penalty or no swat to have a slightly overbuilt frame. Shame because it sounds like a killer bike, maybe I was just overthinking it.

I've been riding my bike pretty dang hard over the last 5 months and so far it is surviving. Fortunately my trails are not that rocky. I know a few people have cracked the down tube due to rock strikes. It's something I try not to worry about though. If it breaks I'll just get another frame. If you're concerned about a frame braking, many homeowner's insurance in the US will cover it. I'm assuming that's also the case in Canada?

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 12:23 Quote
I've only tried neutral / high so far, really wanted to try the low setting but we got so many steep stuff, and alot of rock gardens, scared to hit that super thin carbon downtube somewhere Frown And honestly, switching geo for every different ride is annoying ( ha + high/low )

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
Hi, Looking for feedback and input from anybody who has experience with both bikes. I currently ride a custom built Specialized Enduro, which I love, but saw this week a short window opportunity to buy the new Stumpjumper Evo and jumped on it out of curiousity. I'm still waiting for delivery on the SJ but curious if it's actually the right choice? or if I should return it.

The way I see it on paper is that the Enduro will be more stable/plush on the downhills given its extra travel and weight. While the SJ evo will be more versatile with the adjustable geo and it will climb better given lower weight. Also thinking it will corner better with the much lower BB?

So the question is: Does the SJ Evo hold up on Chunky DH trails? Does it's geometry run out of Travel with 150 out back? With how well the Enduro Pedals? is the Evo actually any better?

Thanks for the help! I'll post this in the enduro forum as well.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
Daray wrote:
Hi, Looking for feedback and input from anybody who has experience with both bikes. I currently ride a custom built Specialized Enduro, which I love, but saw this week a short window opportunity to buy the new Stumpjumper Evo and jumped on it out of curiousity. I'm still waiting for delivery on the SJ but curious if it's actually the right choice? or if I should return it.

The way I see it on paper is that the Enduro will be more stable/plush on the downhills given its extra travel and weight. While the SJ evo will be more versatile with the adjustable geo and it will climb better given lower weight. Also thinking it will corner better with the much lower BB?

So the question is: Does the SJ Evo hold up on Chunky DH trails? Does it's geometry run out of Travel with 150 out back? With how well the Enduro Pedals? is the Evo actually any better?

keep both yolo

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 11:20 Quote
Daray wrote:

I typically ride a Stumpjumper Evo but my brother has an Enduro that I ride occasionally. Decending they are fairly even until you start getting into high speeds on gnarly trails. There is a point at which the Enduro just pulls ahead and the Stumpjumper Evo will struggle to keep up. Think steep and chunky double black trails. The Stumpjumper Evo handles these trails no problem but it's noticeably more challenging and fatiguing to ride compared to the Enduro. If you mostly ride gnarly double black trails then the Enduro is probably a better choice.

The Enduro is a few pounds heavier than my Stumpjumper Evo but I don't notice it much. The bikes climb similarly. Some people feel the Enduro climbs better than the Stumpjumper Evo. The Stumpjumper Evo has a steeper seat tube which results in a more upright and comfortable climbing position for me.

The Stumpjumper Evo is definitely a more versatile bike and more fun than the Enduro on more mellow trails or lower speeds. The Enduro can feel like a bit of a tank some times. The SWAT hole on the Evo is also much larger which is nice on longer rides.

Overall both bikes are excellent. For versatility the Evo wins. For smashing double black trails as fast as possible the Enduro wins.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
WalrusRider wrote:
Daray wrote:

I typically ride a Stumpjumper Evo but my brother has an Enduro that I ride occasionally. Decending they are fairly even until you start getting into high speeds on gnarly trails. There is a point at which the Enduro just pulls ahead and the Stumpjumper Evo will struggle to keep up. Think steep and chunky double black trails. The Stumpjumper Evo handles these trails no problem but it's noticeably more challenging and fatiguing to ride compared to the Enduro. If you mostly ride gnarly double black trails then the Enduro is probably a better choice.

The Enduro is a few pounds heavier than my Stumpjumper Evo but I don't notice it much. The bikes climb similarly. Some people feel the Enduro climbs better than the Stumpjumper Evo. The Stumpjumper Evo has a steeper seat tube which results in a more upright and comfortable climbing position for me.

The Stumpjumper Evo is definitely a more versatile bike and more fun than the Enduro on more mellow trails or lower speeds. The Enduro can feel like a bit of a tank some times. The SWAT hole on the Evo is also much larger which is nice on longer rides.

Overall both bikes are excellent. For versatility the Evo wins. For smashing double black trails as fast as possible the Enduro wins.

Thanks- That's kind of what I've figured- I love the Double Black Chunky trails- but they make up a small percentage of the trails I ride. Any thoughts on how they compare jumping?

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 13:17 Quote
calicartel wrote:
Daray wrote:

keep both yolo

I've thought about it- but it seems like a pretty narrow two bike quiver

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 13:30 Quote
Daray wrote:
calicartel wrote:
Daray wrote:

keep both yolo

I've thought about it- but it seems like a pretty narrow two bike quiver

That is true, been using my Evo in Whistler all summer...it can handle the park. But there are times I wish I had a full DH rig or bigger travel enduro

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 15:00 Quote
Daray wrote:
WalrusRider wrote:
Daray wrote:

Thanks- That's kind of what I've figured- I love the Double Black Chunky trails- but they make up a small percentage of the trails I ride. Any thoughts on how they compare jumping?

The Evo feels like it has more pop and boosts off jumps and trail features better. On the Enduro I have to preload the suspension harder and pull with more force but I have no problem with it. The Evo is a more playful bike and I like how it jumps compared to the Enduro.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 15:36 Quote
Daray wrote:
WalrusRider wrote:
Daray wrote:

I can't comment on the Enduro, but I live close to you and have a '21 Evo. It's not crazy overkill for the more mellow trails, and handles the steep, rough, and chunky trails really well. I think bikes in the 150/160 range are the best for all around riding, and the Evo definitely fits in that category well. The SWAT and being able to carry extra water is nice on longer rides, and the adjustable geo is a nice bonus. Going +/- 1 degree on the head angle can really alter how the bike handles and what you can do with it.

I seek out the steeper, more technical trails and enjoy both climbing and descending (I ride in Duluth quite often). I've been really satisfied with the Evo and can't really imagine needing anything bigger for descending, at least for all around trail riding. Although maybe I just don't go fast enough to really need anything bigger.. If you were racing, or going to the mountains a lot, or rode bike parks all the time I could see the argument for wanting more bike. Not that Evo can't handle that stuff, but at some point it will start to get overwhelmed.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 18:50 Quote
lj17 wrote:
Daray wrote:
WalrusRider wrote:

I can't comment on the Enduro, but I live close to you and have a '21 Evo. It's not crazy overkill for the more mellow trails, and handles the steep, rough, and chunky trails really well. I think bikes in the 150/160 range are the best for all around riding, and the Evo definitely fits in that category well. The SWAT and being able to carry extra water is nice on longer rides, and the adjustable geo is a nice bonus. Going +/- 1 degree on the head angle can really alter how the bike handles and what you can do with it.

I seek out the steeper, more technical trails and enjoy both climbing and descending (I ride in Duluth quite often). I've been really satisfied with the Evo and can't really imagine needing anything bigger for descending, at least for all around trail riding. Although maybe I just don't go fast enough to really need anything bigger.. If you were racing, or going to the mountains a lot, or rode bike parks all the time I could see the argument for wanting more bike. Not that Evo can't handle that stuff, but at some point it will start to get overwhelmed.

Thanks- super helpful- sounds like we should ride together in Duluth sometime.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 21:39 Quote
Daray wrote:
lj17 wrote:
Daray wrote:

Thanks- super helpful- sounds like we should ride together in Duluth sometime.

I’m actually heading up this weekend, but some other time could work too.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 1:32 Quote
I have the 2021 evo ltd, comes stock in mullet setting. Yesterday I managed to destroy my hub/body internals. I assume it will be covered under warranty but the bikestore is on holiday. I have no spare 27.5 wheel to use but I can borrow a 29 wheel. Does anyone know if the 29 rearwheel will fit with the mullet-link?

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 7:19 Quote
mtbwillems wrote:
I have the 2021 evo ltd, comes stock in mullet setting. Yesterday I managed to destroy my hub/body internals. I assume it will be covered under warranty but the bikestore is on holiday. I have no spare 27.5 wheel to use but I can borrow a 29 wheel. Does anyone know if the 29 rearwheel will fit with the mullet-link?

Try it and see, just take all of the air out of the shock and see if there's and rub when fully compressed. I have a stock 29er link sitting on a shelf, but of course I'm 8.2k kilometers from you. I'm guessing you'd also want to run the headset in slack and the chainstays in low.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.608313
Mobile Version of Website