Giant AC what rear shock?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Giant AC what rear shock?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 10:35 Quote
got a little project bike.

as I have so many spare in garage, my mates spraying a Giant AC 05 frame for me.

need a rear shock

I understand they're 200mm stroke 50

can anyone advise me?

my first full sus

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 10:46 Quote
There ain't that many shocks in that size,i would recheck to confirm that size.

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 10:50 Quote
marquis wrote:

my bad 200mm eye to eye 50mm stroke

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 10:52 Quote
jasonjm wrote:
marquis wrote:

Salute

For that then you need to decide between air or coil shock,air will save some weight but coil will feel better.

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 11:17 Quote
marquis wrote:
jasonjm wrote:
marquis wrote:

Salute

For that then you need to decide between air or coil shock,air will save some weight but coil will feel better.

air will be less travel?

can you link me with any?

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 11:21 Quote
marquis wrote:
jasonjm wrote:
marquis wrote:

Salute

air will be less travel?

can you link me with any?

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 12:12 Quote
Air and coil give the same travel so long as the stroke is the same,i,e 50mm stroke.

Link wise you would need to give a budget but you looking at 350 ish new for a dhx 5.0 coil.

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 12:19 Quote
marquis wrote:
Air and coil give the same travel so long as the stroke is the same,i,e 50mm stroke.

Link wise you would need to give a budget but you looking at 350 ish new for a dhx 5.0 coil.
oh right,

sooo

for example

this shock

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13156

its 200mm 50mm stroke

what inch travel would that give?

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 12:20 Quote
^^^ You need to find out the travel of the frame to work out how much leverage ratio it has.

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 12:21 Quote
marquis wrote:
^^^ You need to find out the travel of the frame to work out how much leverage ratio it has.

the frame is 5"3 or 6"6

Im gonna need you guys to help me out here

thanks for this too btw

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 20:54 Quote
You will get either get 5.5" or 6.6" of travel (140mm or 167mm) of travel, depending upon which setting you select. That is as long as you use the shock stroke that Giant has specified. There's a catch though - some 200 mm eye to eye shocks come with 50 mm stroke, while others are 57mm. Not sure if you would gain more travel with the longer stroke version - it may just bottom out the suspension, or potentially damage the frame.

As far as the Rockshox shock you linked... I'd give that a pass, unless all you are doing is cross country riding. I don't know what your budget is, or how particular you are about adjustability, but all that shock has is air preload and rebound.

Personally, I'd run with a Fox DHX. I have an '08 DHX 5.0 air, and other than one hiccup, it has worked fine. Keep in mind that if you buy an air shock, you will need a pump for it. Oh, and if it ever does mess up on you (blow an air seal), it's going to the bottom of it's travel, and you will be pushing your bike home. That's one advantage coil over shocks have.

Oh, and mind how you mount a shock with an external reservoir (like the DHX) on your AC. You could damage the shock or the frame if the reservoir doesn't have enough clearance at the end of the suspension travel.

That's all I got for you - I gotta go to bed now. ZZZZZZZZ

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 at 5:25 Quote
betterL8thannever wrote:
You will get either get 5.5" or 6.6" of travel (140mm or 167mm) of travel, depending upon which setting you select. That is as long as you use the shock stroke that Giant has specified. There's a catch though - some 200 mm eye to eye shocks come with 50 mm stroke, while others are 57mm. Not sure if you would gain more travel with the longer stroke version - it may just bottom out the suspension, or potentially damage the frame.

As far as the Rockshox shock you linked... I'd give that a pass, unless all you are doing is cross country riding. I don't know what your budget is, or how particular you are about adjustability, but all that shock has is air preload and rebound.

Personally, I'd run with a Fox DHX. I have an '08 DHX 5.0 air, and other than one hiccup, it has worked fine. Keep in mind that if you buy an air shock, you will need a pump for it. Oh, and if it ever does mess up on you (blow an air seal), it's going to the bottom of it's travel, and you will be pushing your bike home. That's one advantage coil over shocks have.

Oh, and mind how you mount a shock with an external reservoir (like the DHX) on your AC. You could damage the shock or the frame if the reservoir doesn't have enough clearance at the end of the suspension travel.

That's all I got for you - I gotta go to bed now. ZZZZZZZZ

I really appreciate that, has cleared things up a great deal.. I was just worried about the whole travel thing..

I know its 200 stoke 50

But then I was concerned about the travel

as there are 2 bolts one for 5.3 and one for 6.6

the rockshox was just an example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Fox-DHX-3-0-coil-shock-200mm-09-Kona-Stinky-Coiler_W0QQitemZ130371103265QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item1e5ab92a21#ht_1050wt_1165

that for example would be perfect would it not?

I just want the bike for some hard xc/ am

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 at 5:27 Quote
Right now I am selling a vivid in that size. they make em.

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 at 5:35 Quote
thecollonadekid wrote:

you're in us though Frown

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 at 5:37 Quote
jasonjm wrote:
thecollonadekid wrote:

you're in us though Frown

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010905
Mobile Version of Website