2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Oct 9, 2016 at 4:27 Quote
SeanOg wrote:
My Monarch R is it holding pressure and I can also see that some of the black anodising has worn off one side of the shock. I usually run 225psi for 27% sag with 3bands. After a couple rides the shock had 110% psi. It's the third time it's lost air over a week or two.
Should I get it warrantied or tell the lbs I got from? Is that stanchion rub on the shock normal? It's my first shock so I don't know but it doesn't seem right!

When did you buy the bike? How long since the last shock service?

Sounds like you got some dirt stuck under your dust wiper and its rubbed on the shaft in operation. Air loss could be caused by shaft wear but unlikely. The dirt probably ruined your air seal as well.

Posted: Oct 9, 2016 at 6:11 Quote
Kellster99 wrote:
Anyone know the shock size on the 2015 advanced 1 because I'm looking to upgrade from the monarch?

200x57

Posted: Oct 9, 2016 at 12:29 Quote
billymtb wrote:
SeanOg wrote:
My Monarch R is it holding pressure and I can also see that some of the black anodising has worn off one side of the shock. I usually run 225psi for 27% sag with 3bands. After a couple rides the shock had 110% psi. It's the third time it's lost air over a week or two.
Should I get it warrantied or tell the lbs I got from? Is that stanchion rub on the shock normal? It's my first shock so I don't know but it doesn't seem right!

When did you buy the bike? How long since the last shock service?

Sounds like you got some dirt stuck under your dust wiper and its rubbed on the shaft in operation. Air loss could be caused by shaft wear but unlikely. The dirt probably ruined your air seal as well.

I had my local lbs mechanic I always go to put spacers in there about a month ago. I keep the bike spotless too so if dirt got in there it's a seal problem? Bike is not even 6months old yet too

Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 0:40 Quote
I currently own a giant reign 2 2016 and want to increase my rear travel has anyone done this or know how to do this? Will fitting a bigger shock work or are their any conversion kits etc.. thanks!

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 1:32 Quote
Rmcfarland wrote:
MattMan33 wrote:
Novice bike mechanic here..... Very novice.

I have a 2015 Reign 2 and I'm playing around with tokens and bands to dial in the suspension.

I'm a Clydesdale, 230 lbs fully geared.

I put 3 tokens in the pike and it's already so much better than I could've hoped. The process was very simple to get the tokens in and out.

I have the bands for the Monarch, but I've never taken off a rear shock before. From the look of it, does the crank need to come off to get to it? I just want to know what I'm getting into. Most how-to show how to get the bands in the shock once it's off, but they don't show how to actually get the shock of a maestro.

Any tips before I start taking things apart? Also, if 3 tokens feels nearly perfect for the pike how many bands for the Monarch do you guys generally recommend for someone my size?

Cheers!

Just remove the mounting hardware from the top of the shock so you can tilt it forward. This gives you enough room room to pull the air sleeve off and wiggle some bands on there. For your weight id go at least 5 bands and then see how you prefer the feel.

There should be some picture 'tutorials' in this thread of people doing it this way as taking the bottom bolt off this bike is a huge pain.

That's good to hear about the option of not having to completely remove the shock.

Man, been through the majority of pages in this thread (300+) and couldn't find the specific area about accessing through just the top of the shock. Anyone know where it's at in this massive thread?

Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 1:44 Quote
The only way to increase the rear travel would be to redesign the rear linkage. A longer rear shox wouldn't work, as it won't be able to fully extend unfortunately. Why do you want more rear travel? Have you got a 170-180mm fork?

Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 1:57 Quote
I have the same question. Even if you have a 180mm fork, 160mm in the back is more than enough.

Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 2:03 Quote
MattMan33 wrote:
Rmcfarland wrote:
MattMan33 wrote:
Novice bike mechanic here..... Very novice.

I have a 2015 Reign 2 and I'm playing around with tokens and bands to dial in the suspension.

I'm a Clydesdale, 230 lbs fully geared.

I put 3 tokens in the pike and it's already so much better than I could've hoped. The process was very simple to get the tokens in and out.

I have the bands for the Monarch, but I've never taken off a rear shock before. From the look of it, does the crank need to come off to get to it? I just want to know what I'm getting into. Most how-to show how to get the bands in the shock once it's off, but they don't show how to actually get the shock of a maestro.

Any tips before I start taking things apart? Also, if 3 tokens feels nearly perfect for the pike how many bands for the Monarch do you guys generally recommend for someone my size?

Cheers!

Just remove the mounting hardware from the top of the shock so you can tilt it forward. This gives you enough room room to pull the air sleeve off and wiggle some bands on there. For your weight id go at least 5 bands and then see how you prefer the feel.

There should be some picture 'tutorials' in this thread of people doing it this way as taking the bottom bolt off this bike is a huge pain.

That's good to hear about the option of not having to completely remove the shock.

Man, been through the majority of pages in this thread (300+) and couldn't find the specific area about accessing through just the top of the shock. Anyone know where it's at in this massive thread?

Here are a few photos to help.
1.At the top linkage (Pictured) you a shifter spanner and hex key to loosen and remove the top bolt, then jam the rear linkage with a rag or something to prevent the rear triangle from collapsing.
2. Either pinch the black o-ring (pictured) till it comes loose and slide it down or use a very small pick like a screwdriver/toothpick.
3. grab the air can sleave and apply a downwards force till it pops off.
4. Tilt the shox forward and slide/stretch the bands over and into place,(pictured, 6 max)
5. Slide the air sleave back up(there should be a click) and reinstall the black o-ring(make sure it's not twisted) and finally reinstall the bolt.

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 6:12 Quote
Make sure you let ALL the air out first!

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 7:11 Quote
Also make sure you grab the two silver washers that go between the upper shock mount hardware and the bearing when you remove the shock.

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 7:51 Quote
Nice! Thank you so much! I'll give this a shot.

Cheers!

Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 9:04 Quote
[Quote="MattMan33"][Quote="Rmcfarland"]
MattMan33 wrote:
I have the bands for the Monarch, but I've never taken off a rear shock before. From the look of it, does the crank need to come off to get to it? I just want to know what I'm getting into. Most how-to show how to get the bands in the shock once it's off, but they don't show how to actually get the shock of a maestro....

Murphy's Law you can never find what you're looking for. From a few days ago, 7 pages back:

Mrbeau wrote:
I put bottomless rings in the Monarch as well, learned that there's no need go from the bottom mount. The bottomless rings slip over the top of the shock easily, so just remove the shock from the top mount. Much easier as you don't need to pull off the chainring, etc.

Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 9:06 Quote
Mfoga and Rmcfarland also helpfully pointed out to make sure ALL the airs out, and carefully keep track of those two little silver washers that will likely fall out.

Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 10:26 Quote
Anybody find problems with the low stack height on the bike? I have been riding my 2016 Reign Advanced 1 for over six months now and while I haven't had any issues, I do think that a higher stack would bring about more stability in DH or park applications. Might try a higher rise bar and see how that helps..

Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 15:01 Quote
bikehard11 wrote:
Anybody find problems with the low stack height on the bike? I have been riding my 2016 Reign Advanced 1 for over six months now and while I haven't had any issues, I do think that a higher stack would bring about more stability in DH or park applications. Might try a higher rise bar and see how that helps..

I haven't had any issues with the stack height. A higher bar height is nice in some situations but lower feels better in corners IMO

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.026582
Mobile Version of Website