Tool-free dingle/dual speed setup

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Tool-free dingle/dual speed setup
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 4, 2012 at 4:15 Quote
ok, please tolerate my not-so-good English.

I've just sold my 26" trial bike due to the limitation of the storage space I have.
So I'm now basically running both street and trials on a single speed STP. It did a descent job for my beginner level. But the draw back is that I need to switch the sprocket between 18T and 12T on the hub depends on the type of riding.
After a couple of days of doing so. I started thinking of running a dual speed setup.
I found out that, after googling it, It's been done by some people, mostly are implemented on fixie and some rigid fork MTB for riding technical trails. They call it dingle speed. They run it on either a frame with horizontal drop outs or vertical drop outs with chain tentioner, either way it require some sort of tool or at least QR for switching between sprockets when running without shifters.

I'm not a big fan of carrying tools while spinning around.
So I decided to do some experiment.
tool-free dingle speed
  tool-free dingle speed

tool-free dingle speed manual adjust knob
  tool-free dingle speed manual adjust knob
Nothing really fancy, just a derailleur with tension adjustment knob. It works just like a normal derailleur. All you need to do is to twist the tension adjustment knob and have the derailleur align to the sprocket you need.

Just had a ride on it this afternoon, did some pivoting and rear wheel hopping. It worked pretty good to me.

Someone might ask why I don't just put a gear shifter with it. First, it saves up weight. Second, I don't really need to switch between gears while riding. What I need is just two different setup for two different riding disciplines.

Now the next thing is finding a lighter smaller derailleur, the one I'm currently using is from a old city bike as an experiment. It weighs 330g, among the heaviest as I googled it and it's really ugly:Cool :.

Hope it helps for people who want's to run dual speed config too Smile

p.s. I'm not quite sure if this is a correct forum to post, please let me know (I guess it's okay)

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 7:00 Quote
Still working for you? I'm wanting to do this to my bike

Posted: Jun 2, 2023 at 5:00 Quote
Really cool, i've also been thinking about something along these lines. I hate riding my trials bike for any distance.

Mod
Posted: Jun 2, 2023 at 7:19 Quote
dinglespeed
i only have one bad photo, but this is my dinglespeed shimano zee ask away and ill add photos if needed

Posted: Jul 19, 2023 at 7:54 Quote
Can you post pick of the full bike? really interested in doing something like this. do you have issues with chainline when in the different gears?

mior wrote:
dinglespeed
i only have one bad photo, but this is my dinglespeed shimano zee ask away and ill add photos if needed

Mod
Posted: Jul 19, 2023 at 17:58 Quote
More pics are in my photos. Its a polygon trid zz. Guesstimated the chainline and it works ok so its stayed the same. I would say the chainline is in the middle but im on vacation so i cant peek. If you think about it derailleurs shift quite far so it only has to be ok.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014592
Mobile Version of Website