1 1/8 headtube and tapered fork

PB Forum :: USA - East
1 1/8 headtube and tapered fork
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 at 14:23 Quote
Whats up guys and gals, so im trying to find out if i can fit a Tapered fork on my 2007 S works Enduro.

HT from what i can read is an IS 41mm cups, but i am not sure what i would have to purchase in order to get this to work properly? I cant seem to find anything online so im assuming its either not possible or not conventional lol. Some help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 at 6:35 Quote
Well, if you have a tapered steerer tube on the fork 1.5" to 1-1/8" then you can fit it in a 1.5" headtube. You will need to purchase a 1.5" reducer headset, and just pop out the existing top 1.5" headset piece out and then press the top reducer headset piece in its place. Do not change out the lower headset piece in the headtube, as this you will need for the 1.5" lower end of the tapered steerer tube. You will also need to purchase a 1-1/8" stem to replace the 1.5" stem once present on the full 1.5" steerer tube.

Hope this helps and the best of riding!

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 at 6:50 Quote
Sigh unfortunately my head tube is 1 1/8 all the way.... I was looking to use a fork from local that is 1 1/8 tapered to 1.5. But then realized my HT was straight 1 1/8. A noob mistake lol.

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 at 19:34 Quote
erickrm wrote:
Sigh unfortunately my head tube is 1 1/8 all the way.... I was looking to use a fork from local that is 1 1/8 tapered to 1.5. But then realized my HT was straight 1 1/8. A noob mistake lol.
No worries man, we all have to start somewhere...lol. Yeah, you would need a headtube that is already tapered (some out there) or a 1.5" headtube to fly with a tapered steer tube. Tapered steer tubes start 1.5" at the bottom and end at the top with a 1-1/8" (where the stem clamps on.

Easy to find good deals out there on forks with straight up 1-1/8" steer tubes....Beer

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 at 20:13 Quote
I appreciate the help Chili i was fortunate enough to find a straight Fox 36 Van RC2 1 1/8 so im good now.

On the flipside the frame i bought on here came with a hairline crack chainstay wooohoo and my luck continues lol.

Posted: Oct 10, 2012 at 13:29 Quote
erickrm wrote:
I appreciate the help Chili i was fortunate enough to find a straight Fox 36 Van RC2 1 1/8 so im good now.

On the flipside the frame i bought on here came with a hairline crack chainstay wooohoo and my luck continues lol.
Damn, what a BUMMER!!!! Facepalm

The only issue I have with buying used bikes online, you never know what you are getting unless you really know the previous owner, and that the previous owner did not buy it used either. Sorry to hear that man, and I hope your luck turns out better in the future. The good thing, there are some people out there with integrity left...Rolleyes

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 13:07 Quote
I'm pretty sure you can in fact run a tapered fork with a 1 1/8 head tube. You just need the proper lower headset fitting.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 13:09 Quote
This should help argue my case....

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

Some please correct me if I'm wrong.

Never mind IS44.... but the chart is helpful.

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 14:04 Quote
ClarkJordanP wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can in fact run a tapered fork with a 1 1/8 head tube. You just need the proper lower headset fitting.
What?!?!? Rolleyes

Seriously, no dissing, but the last time I checked it is quite impossible to fit a 1.5" steerer-tube into a 1-1/8" head-set. All tapered steerer-tubes start at 1.5" then taper down to 1-1/8". Yeah, the top end (tapered end that is) can fit into the head-set (being a 1-1/8" head-set, but the lower end of the steerer-tube (1.5") would never fit in or into a 1-1/8" head-tube. Just saying man...Wink

The link you provided just proves this point. Good diagram for new riders lacking the knowledge of head-sets per different head-tubes though...tup Big Grin

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2013 at 17:47 Quote
I dont know if this will help, but I was just researching this same subject. You can install a tapered fork in some straight head tubes. It moves the lower cup and bearing outside of the headtube.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/new-headset-allows-use-of-tapered-steerers-in-some-1-18in-head-tubes-25275/

http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/tapered-fork-reign-straight-headtube-703335.html

There something about it working for more "modern" 44mm bore head tubes but not "traditional 1 1/8 34mm head tubes. Some guys quoting Cane Creek's site here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/so-bikes-straight-1-1-8-head-tubes-will-left-out-810772.html

Posted: Mar 4, 2013 at 5:20 Quote
zamdrang wrote:
I dont know if this will help, but I was just researching this same subject. You can install a tapered fork in some straight head tubes. It moves the lower cup and bearing outside of the headtube.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/new-headset-allows-use-of-tapered-steerers-in-some-1-18in-head-tubes-25275/

http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/tapered-fork-reign-straight-headtube-703335.html

There something about it working for more "modern" 44mm bore head tubes but not "traditional 1 1/8 34mm head tubes. Some guys quoting Cane Creek's site here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/so-bikes-straight-1-1-8-head-tubes-will-left-out-810772.html

Interesting by far!! Thanks for the info on this, as I have an older Bullit with a 1-1/8" head-tube and most all my big forks are 1.5" steer-tubes...lol This will help, but unfortunately, this head-set will only work with some 1-1/8" head-tubes.

Posted: Mar 19, 2013 at 18:07 Quote
It has to be a 44 mm inner diameter head tube. I have an IH 6.6, it was advertised as a 1.5 HT, which it is not. I am currently running a 1.5 tapered steerer on that bad boy. Bottom cup is external and top cup is zero stack. So, yes it can be done.

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 11:20 Quote
If I got this right, apparently Cane Creek is now making a lower headset adapter assembly which will allow you to use a tappered forks in "older" 44mm headtubed frames; called the "Cane Creek 40 EC44/40 Conversion" something or other.

Can get it on Ebay for about $30 bucks, or from your local dealer.

It adds something like 7-10mm to your stack height, but I say who cares if you dont have to go out and buy a new fork.

Now the big question is, how do I know if I have a 44mm headtube??

Posted: Jun 23, 2013 at 19:24 Quote
if you dont have a calibrator, bring it to the shop and they should have one. they could probably tell just by looking at it.The difference is pretty apparent, though.
Pinkbrain wrote:
If I got this right, apparently Cane Creek is now making a lower headset adapter assembly which will allow you to use a tappered forks in "older" 44mm headtubed frames; called the "Cane Creek 40 EC44/40 Conversion" something or other.

Can get it on Ebay for about $30 bucks, or from your local dealer.

It adds something like 7-10mm to your stack height, but I say who cares if you dont have to go out and buy a new fork.

Now the big question is, how do I know if I have a 44mm headtube??

Posted: Jan 10, 2014 at 0:38 Quote
Then if i have a 1.5 headtube like a santacruz bullit... a tapered fork could fit with a reducer 1.5 to 1 1/8 on top? Thanks for help

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009963
Mobile Version of Website