XT Rear derailleur and Ultegra road shifter compatibility.?

PB Forum :: 29ers
XT Rear derailleur and Ultegra road shifter compatibility.?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 14, 2010 at 12:58 Quote
As the title suggests, will a 2010 10s Shimano XT rear derailleur work with a 2010 10s Ultegra road style shifter?

(The purpose of this is to run a wide range cassette on the back, instead of three rings up front)

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 at 13:00 Quote
yashayashayasha wrote:
As the title suggests, will a 2010 10s Shimano XT rear derailleur work with a 2010 10s Ultegra road style shifter?

(The purpose of this is to run a wide range cassette on the back, instead of three rings up front)
Yes. Shouldn't be a problem.

Posted: Oct 18, 2010 at 9:38 Quote
I've setup the derailleur on my dads road bike, but I'm having issues...

Namely the shifter doesnt seem to offer a wide enough range (it is 10 speed) to access all of the gears. Basically when shifting through the gears I can have about 8 available, with two shifts thrown in the middle that do absolutely nothing.

I've setup derailleurs before, always mtb, always 9 speed, are there any particular tricks I'm missing? I thought I might be doing it wrong so I followed shimano's included literature, but still no dice

thanks in advance!

Posted: Oct 18, 2010 at 9:42 Quote
This may be a silly question but is your cassette also 10spd?

Posted: Oct 18, 2010 at 9:54 Quote
haha, yes. the setup is as follows:

Shimano XT Cassette 11-34T 10S
Shimano Ultegra 6700 Shifter
Shimano XT SGS Derailleur 10S

Posted: Oct 18, 2010 at 9:59 Quote
The derailleur is irrelevant really as the indexation comes from the shifter. If the shifter was 9 spd you'd be jumping gears rather than dead shifting (thinking out loud here). You may have already tried this but try removing the limiters completely and a new cable.

In response to your original question, this setup is perfectly fine. I've seen it done many times and had it vice versa myself.

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2010 at 13:18 Quote
I could be mistaken but I believe that the pull ratio for shimano MTB 10speed is different from everything else.. meaning that the Dynasys 10speed shifters/ ders./ and cassette will only work with Dynasys parts.

Posted: Oct 18, 2010 at 15:29 Quote
nathanbalsdon wrote:
I could be mistaken but I believe that the pull ratio for shimano MTB 10speed is different from everything else.. meaning that the Dynasys 10speed shifters/ ders./ and cassette will only work with Dynasys parts.

shit, turns out you're correct sir...

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 at 0:54 Quote
I'll repeat. The derailleur is irrelevant, what matters is the shifter and cassette. It should therefore still work.

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 at 2:48 Quote
According to several previews/reviews of the dynasys groupsets, they are not compatible with any of the existing shimano road gear (includingn 10s)

This is irellevant now because I just put an old 9 speed slx derailleur on the bike and its fine.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2010 at 8:12 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
I'll repeat. The derailleur is irrelevant, what matters is the shifter and cassette. It should therefore still work.

You are half right.... as long as the pull ratio is the same it doesn't matter what rear derailleur you use. Until Dynasys almost all Shimano used 2:1 so you could use a 10spd road der with an 8speed shifter, or the other way around, and it would work (as long as the shifter and cassette matched). Sram number series groups (X0, X9, 7, ect) use a different pull ratio and there for cannot be used with shimano shifters. Same reason you can't use Sram Road derailleurs with MTB shifter or visa versa. Shimano Dyna-Sys has the same issues...

Posted: Nov 7, 2010 at 7:37 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
not any more. Dyna-Sys, Shimano's mtb 10-speed system is different than any of their other rear derailleurs and shifters. Not compatible with any other components, just as you can not mix SRAM and Shimano RDs and shifters.

Posted: Nov 7, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
Just the thread i needed. Got a question about a mix of components - i can't find anything, hope you guys can help. i've got a Saint 2009 rear derailleur, would it be compatible with a SLX/XT/XTR 10-speed shifter, DURA-ACE or ULTEGRA cassette, and some non-directional 10-speed chain, for example KMC X10? If the newest such cassette needs a directional chain, would it work with it?

Posted: Nov 7, 2010 at 20:15 Quote
hitarpotar wrote:
Just the thread i needed. Got a question about a mix of components - i can't find anything, hope you guys can help. i've got a Saint 2009 rear derailleur, would it be compatible with a SLX/XT/XTR 10-speed shifter, DURA-ACE or ULTEGRA cassette, and some non-directional 10-speed chain, for example KMC X10? If the newest such cassette needs a directional chain, would it work with it?
No. Will not work
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=646014

Posted: Nov 7, 2010 at 20:17 Quote
yashayashayasha wrote:

Just use a Shimano 9-sp MTB rear dérailleur and a SRAM 10-sp cassette.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011826
Mobile Version of Website